We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attitude towards Aussies lately?

Perth
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Topic
Attitude towards Aussies lately?

Hello all,

Has anyone noticed any animosity towards Aussies lately? Coming up for my 15th trip and have never experienced this myself but some people i know recently just returned from Bali and they said they were treatsd almost aggressively a couple of times.

Paul

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Attitude towards Aussies lately?

Probably post schoolies syndrome.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
217 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attitude towards Aussies lately?

I haven't, but it's not really a surprise - a lot of the schoolies and bogans go over and treat the country with such disrespect.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attitude towards Aussies lately?

I am an Aussie and my attitude towards the behaviour of some bogan Aussies was pretty poor too - I don't blame them however I have never experienced it myself -- a lot depends on your attitude towards others -- learn a few words of local language eg hello, how are you, thank you etc -- always goes a long way to show that you have some interest in the country other than boozing

Canberra (capital...
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attitude towards Aussies lately?

MicknOlga, great idea, I agree - do you know the words for hello, please and thank you? ;)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attitude towards Aussies lately?

The best idea is to ask your guide, barman, cleaner, hotel desk person etc etc - be aware there is a slight difference between Balinese and Indonesian however if they teach you Indonesian you will be understood but the Balinese seem to appreciate it when you use Balinese words instead of Indonesian-- you can go on line but you may not get the pronunciation right. I carry a small note book with me and write the words down phonectically so if I forget (especially after a few bintangs) I can refresh my memory

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attitude towards Aussies lately?

I assumed that the OP was talking about the political situation. We were there a few weeks ago when the demonstrations were happening in Jakarta and quite a few of the Balinese mentioned it mainly in regards to hoping it wouldn't effect tourism. The embarrassing bogans have been there forever that's why I don't go near the nightmare that is Kuta/ Legian. Despite what people like to think you really don't find many of them outside this area which is great. I never see them except on the plane which always makes me happy that I'm going in the opposite direction to them when we get there !

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attitude towards Aussies lately?

Here here freogal!!!!

SansSouci
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Attitude towards Aussies lately?

Hallo! Hullo! Hi!(english) : Hallo! Halo! Hei

Please,kindly (formal request)Harap, (inviting someone)Silakan

Terima kasih or Balinese Thank you, Matur Suksme

Thank you too, Matur suksme mewali

No Thank you, Tidak Terima kasih

SansSouci
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Attitude towards Aussies lately?

I also think it depends on the time of the year, i stayed two weeks in Kuta Aug 10-24(my work colleagues till 29) and we did not encounter any bogans at our hotels, on the street/lanes, at warungs/restaurants, on the beach at sunset. What happened after the stroke of midnight we had no idea.

At both hotels there were no groups girls/guys only the odd couples & a few families, the other guests were our age 50/50+ also ladies who were grandmothers & couples 70-80yr+.

Normally stay in Legian never during oz school holidays/christmas/new year.

? where were the people you know treated almost aggressively.

Perth
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Attitude towards Aussies lately?

Thankyou for the reponses. Yes, i was referring more to the political side of things. The boguns giving Aussies a bad name are a constant unfortunately. They seem to forget whos country they are visiting and they are an embarrasment.

Looking forward to my next trip in 4 weeks! 4 nights on Gili T and 3 in Kuta (away from the bogans hopefully)