We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuta or Sanur?

melbourne
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Kuta or Sanur?

Hi there, I know I'll get quite a few votes for Sanur, but just wondering what our best option would be.

The background...We are 2 adults and 2 boys age 10 and 13. The adults have been to Bali back in 1997, but the kids have never been. We've travelled quite a bit to Thailand, Fiji, USA etc.

We are going to Bali in the July school holidays. I have booked the 1st night at the Safari park, then the next 4 nights at Kuta Townhouses. We will then do 4 nights at Novotel Benoa.

My plan was to do the surfing lessons (for the kids, they've never surfed before), shopping, Waterbom Park etc from Kuta. Then do the relaxing and water activities from Benoa.

I'm a bit worried reading posts lately about how full on Kuta is. We've been before (1997) and stayed in Patong in Phuket and don't really mind the hustle and bustle, but not sure about the aggressiveness of the sellers etc.

Would we be better off in a villa in Sanur, or would we miss out on that 'Bali' full on feel. Is there still market shopping etc in Sanur? Is it close enough to do Waterbom, shopping, Surfing etc if we decide to go into Kuta?

Would love any info anyone could provide. Thanks

melbourne
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuta or Sanur?

Or maybe a villa or a cheaper resort in a different area?

Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuta or Sanur?

Bali is nothing like it was in 1997.

You will be amazed by the changes - some good - some bad.

Sanur still has the Bali "feel".

Markets along the beach.

Safe swimming - Kuta has fairly strong rips.

Transport is cheap and easy.

To Kuta 20 minutes and about $7.

Surfing lessons would be at Kuta/Legian. Your boys would need to be strong swimmers.

Kuta Townhouses are right in the "action" area of Kuta and close to the club area of jalan Legian. I have read reports that the Kuta Townhouses can be noisy depending on type of guests there at the time.

My vote would be Sanur. Lots of hotels right on the beach or villas just back a bit.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuta or Sanur?

Our boy's have been to Bali many times and they are now 15 and 13 and love Kuta. We don't see many "problems" as we're not out is the street from 9PM. The boys enjoy the shopping/haggling and the general craziness of the place and we always stay for a few days before heading off somewhere remote, North or East Bali, Lombok etc. Waterbom is THE BEST day out for kids and adults and I expect you'll have a great time. Don't be put off Kuta by all the bad press on this forum and take it for what it is, fun and chaotic at times!

I can highly recommend Poppies Cottages, really beautiful, quiet, best pool ever and child friendly welcoming staff. It's in the middle of Kuta so you're close to everything including Un's Restaurant and Mades Warung and Kuta Square.

Brighton, Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuta or Sanur?

Do not stay in Sanur the boys will be bored, stay on Kuta, regardless of what others say Kuta is great especially if you like some life in your holiday, We always stay in Kuta and there is so much to do and see and if you like some peace and quiet, pick your accommodation with some thought and you can have that too.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuta or Sanur?

I'd have to disagree with the boys being bored in Sanur . My daughters who have been going to Bali since they were 2, and are now 18 & 25 , love Sanur and always have. They hate Kuta and never go there even if they go to Bali with friends. There's many things to do in and around Sanur so you can be as busy or relaxed as you like. I really think it's a personal preference thing as some love what others hate.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kuta or Sanur?

Comparing Kuta and Sanur is like comparing oranges and apples.

Two completely different areas and different atmospheres

Personally, I wouldn't go to Kuta. Loved Sanur.

Edited: 06 January 2014, 05:47
7. Re: Kuta or Sanur?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 January 2014, 20:35
Brighton, Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kuta or Sanur?

I agree everybody likes something different so how about stop knocking Kuta and also the people who like to go there and enjoy their holiday as you like to enjoy yours.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kuta or Sanur?

Really ?? " Sanur mafia". I'll have to remember my trench coat next time. I'm pretty sure your " don't stay in Sanur the boys will be bored" comment preceded any comments that could be perceived as Kuta knocking and there was no comment made at all about the people who go there. I think you're being a bit sensitive.

Brighton, Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kuta or Sanur?

Not sensitive, just tired of your posts about Sanur.