We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be careful all

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Be careful all

My husband and I decided to go for a walk the morning we were flying home from our 2 week Honeymoon . It was 6am Saturday the 18th of January and we walked from our hotel down to the beach for our last look. I was carrying our travel wallet ,hoping I might be able to find the internet somewhere open so I could WEBCHECK our flights . It also had $500 au ,passports and my Visa card .Nothing was open so we headed back to the hotel .On the way back outside of Coffee Corner in Legian corner Jl Melasti and Jl Legian ,two young men?/boys ? rode past on a motorbike and the one on the back spun around as they went past looking straight at the wallet which I was carrying .I sensed that they were going to come back for it and called out to my Husband who was ahead of me . I knew if they turned right it wasn't going to be good as its a one way street and u" should|" only turn left . Well they came back and I ran across the road shoving the wallet down the front of my shorts ,so they didn't know which one of us had it . They then rode full speed at us and my 6ft + husband who most find quiet intimidating pretended to pick up something off the road to throw at them they just swerved away and circled us pointing and laughing at us , at which we both lost our cool at them yelling at them to take off . The one on the back then went for his pocket ,with us both thinking it may have been a knife and pulled out a egg throwing at my head I ducked and it smashed on the shop window behind me . Deciding it was best to get out of there with everything still on me I ran to the hotel ,sitting there out the front with hubby listening to the bike circling looking for us . I believe if we wouldn't have put up such an aggressive responsive to them they would have been a lot more game and possibly been much more forceful .. they did not give a toss my hubby is a big scary looking bloke.. I am very careful in Bali and not at all naïve to what goes on there so all I really what to say is DONT let your guard down EVER am or pm ..

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be careful all

What a frightening experience for you both! Thanks for sharing with us to serve as a reminder to be extremely careful when out and about!

Wonthaggi, Australia
Level Contributor
901 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be careful all

Scary stuff!! I often go for 6am walks alone in that same area when I'm in Bali...

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,482 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be careful all

Hi pinktulip

Many thanks for the timely reminder as we do tend to let our guard down when on holiday. It must have been a terrible experience for you - I guess you would have felt safe with you husband too!

Cheers

Edited: 21 January 2014, 09:39
Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Be careful all

Not nice at all. I am so wary of bikes now even during the day time.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,823 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Be careful all

Glad neither of you were hurt and glad to see nothing was stolen from you. Bag snatching reports seem to be on the increase.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Be careful all

Bless...

You poor thing! You must have been terrified (and a whole lot of angry too!!).

I hope your feeling ok and thank you for the reminder to stay alert.

:-)

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
704 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Be careful all

that is terrible you do have to be so careful day and night im glad you are both ok apart from being traumatized and im glad nothing was stolen . its a sad way to end your honeymoon . thanks for reminding us all to be very careful

sydney
Level Contributor
942 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Be careful all

Thank you so much for sharing this. It is a reminder to us all. We love Bali however this is be coming more of a problem.

Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Be careful all

Thank goodness your quick thinking averted a disaster. I had thought that bag snatching was a problem confined to the south - but a couple of weeks ago there was an incident in Penestanan (just outside Ubud) where someone had their shoulder bag snatched by two people on a motorbike in broad daylight.

It makes me sad that this is happening in Bali.

Victor Harbor...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Be careful all

Thanks for sharing Pinktulip, thank goodness for your intuition especially that hour of the morning....im usually in my own little world wandering along, on my morning walk