We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surf lesson: book ahead or when in Bali? Cost?

Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Surf lesson: book ahead or when in Bali? Cost?

We will be staying in the Legian/Seminyak area near Double Six beach in March and want to try surfing. We are a group of 9, including 4 young teens. Is it necessary to book surf lessons in advance and what would be the going rate for adult and kid beginner lessons? Any recommended surf companies? Once we have a lesson, some of us might want to just rent a board the next day to practice. What is a fair price for a half day board rental?

Perth
Level Contributor
223 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surf lesson: book ahead or when in Bali? Cost?

I'm interested to know as well. We will be there in August and my 10 yr old wants a lesson. I did a bit of google research and there seems quite a few companies do lessons.

Esperance, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surf lesson: book ahead or when in Bali? Cost?

I'm interested too. I have three sons who would like to do this in July. Has anyone done any lessons with Bali Green Surf?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surf lesson: book ahead or when in Bali? Cost?

Bargain the prices down when you get there,especially for larger groups.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surf lesson: book ahead or when in Bali? Cost?

Sorry can't help with the amount to pay for lessons but we always pay 50,000 for a board for a few hours! There doesn't really appear to e a time limit on it!

Just make sure you thoroughly check the board in front of them before you go out so they don't try and hit you up for repairs for damage which you did not cause but if you do damage a board giving them $20 Australian should be plenty to cover the damage!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surf lesson: book ahead or when in Bali? Cost?

I arranged lessons for my 10 yr old son with the guys that actually hire out the boards on Double 6 beach.They were awesome and charged around 100000RP for an hour including board.In saying that,they don't really watch the clock and tend to give you much more time.I preferred this as opposed to the Rip Curl group lessons as they were one on one.

Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Surf lesson: book ahead or when in Bali? Cost?

Thanks for your advice everyone. It looks like we might have to make arrangements in advanced from home. The prices on the surf school websites seem pricey though. I tried contacting some and got quotes of 300,000RP - 500,000RP for an adult lesson. I haven't tried to negotiate down the price yet. We will be tight on time, so trying to arrange lessons for all 9 of us with guys on the beach might be tricky.

Any recommendations on a more reasonably priced surf school with a good reputation?

Kuta, Indonesia
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Surf lesson: book ahead or when in Bali? Cost?

You could check with rust in surf in Facebook, flat rates for adult or kids at Rp. 350,000/$35. The class will running for 1,5hours per person.

Nienburg...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Surf lesson: book ahead or when in Bali? Cost?

I highly recommend to get surf lessons in Canggu Batu bolong. the price must be around 350.000 - 400.000 which isn't the point. the point is its the best surfspot for beginners. The only problem might be the season which means messy waves at the west coast.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Surf lesson: book ahead or when in Bali? Cost?

Batu Bolong in Canggu is good for beginners. If you are traveling during high and peak seasons, it is better to book in advance to make sure you have a certified, reputable guide. At Journey Surf (the shop location is at Echo Beach, Cangu) a private lesson with ASI certified, CPR, English speaking guide with unlimited water time, plus ocean study and includes board, rash guard, refreshment beverage etc is $75usd. per adult. Groups should be no more than 3 to one instructor for safety and there are group discounts. Also, there is a promotion where every 4th lesson is free. Contact +62 811 386 1149. www.facebook.com/journeysurf

Esperance, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Surf lesson: book ahead or when in Bali? Cost?

Hi there - would like to know how you got on with surf lessons....