We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you advise hiring a rental car in Bali?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
111 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Would you advise hiring a rental car in Bali?

It is over 25 years since I was in Bali and my memories are of crazy driving and not something tourists did.

We are planning a trip in June and wonder if it is Ok to rent a car or should be just look at a car and driver.

There will be 4 adults travelling.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you advise hiring a rental car in Bali?

Unless you know your way a little and are confident it is more pleasurable for all just to use a driver. You can all relax :)

Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
Level Contributor
3,510 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you advise hiring a rental car in Bali?

Hire a car and driver. Driving in Bali is horrendous. Roads are badly signed and the Balinese have invented road rules only known to locals.

Plenty around asking for your business.

Almost all of them are excellent.

Expect to pay $50 to 60 for an eight to ten hour day.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you advise hiring a rental car in Bali?

Ditto the above opinions. Even if you enjoy weaving in and out of lanes and avoiding motorbikes and pedestrians dashing across the street, parking is a nightmare in many places.

And yes, Bali roads have not improved much in 25 years...

You can rent a car and driver at a moment's notice so it's not something you have to worry about. Wait until you arrive and you will be inundated with offers from friendly, nice drivers. For short point to point down south just take the metered Blue Bird taxis.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
759 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would you advise hiring a rental car in Bali?

Still crazy driving in Bali. I would never consider driving myself there. I would highly recommend hiring a driver as $50 a day for car, driver and petrol is a bargain, and you get the bonus of information, itinerary planning, personal attention and a new friend.

One driver I do recommend is Kadek, balipersonaldriver.com. He has a late model luxury car that carries 7 passengers comfortably so 4 would have loads of room. He speaks englsh well and you can Email, Facebook or phone him. We have used him so often we gave him Aussie driving lessons so he actually leaves room between himself and the next car, and doesn't overtake into oncoming traffic. My husband can even travel up front with his eyes open :)

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,915 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you advise hiring a rental car in Bali?

Much better to hire a driver. Traffic is shocking.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would you advise hiring a rental car in Bali?

Don't even bother with self drive, apart from bad road rules, lack of signage you have to face the reality of being stopped by police to pay fines (bribes) not to mention the problems you will face should you be involved in an accident be it your fault or not. You also have to check your travel insurance very carefully in case of accident or injury.

It is just not worth it, hire a driver, sit back and relax and use taxis for shorter distances.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,526 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would you advise hiring a rental car in Bali?

We never drive in the busier areas of the south, but do quite often in the quieter areas in Bali.

It all depends on how keen you are to self drive. Personally, if you haven't been for a time, a think you will enjoy having a driver, so as you can enjoy watching the world go by and not worrying about traffic and where you are going.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,568 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would you advise hiring a rental car in Bali?

Hi

Just relax and be driven! You don't want to spend the whole time worrying about other cars, the mad motorbikes overtaking you on all sides and looking at the road map or for nonexistent road signs. You are on holiday after all. Bali roads now are radically different to 25 years ago.

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
105 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would you advise hiring a rental car in Bali?

We have self driven in Bali many times, but the only driving we do in the south is to get out and back into Tuban. We have driven almost around the whole of the island and through the middle. The road rules are easy give way to anything else on the road especially if it is bigger than you. Driving is a lot slower than at home. If you are able to travel at more than 60km you are speeding. If you take your time you will be fine. We use a GPS with bali maps and I have managed to purchase a street map that is very good. If you want to try driving give it a go. We have driven a variety of cars in bali from small Kariman to Suzuki APV, depending on the number of people in our group. All cars in Bali are manual so if you only drive and auto you are in trouble. Most of the main roads are in good condition it is just if you go off these roads that they are not so good. By driving yourself you are not limited to the places that your driver will take you and you can stop anywhere you want. We have hired cars 5 times now and have only been stopped once at a road side check on the north coast and were asked for money. Other wise all of our driving experiences have been good ones.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
24 posts
559 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would you advise hiring a rental car in Bali?

Once you are confident around a car driving is no issue at all. As other people have said, driving around Kuta and Seminyak is the very definition of insanity and I would never suggest anyone do it. The rest of the island however is fine. Last summer over Eid holiday when the island was packed it was fine to drive all around the north, centre and the west. No problems with policemen since I followed the road rules and had my international license. I say go for it, getting slightly lost is one of the best things about being on holiday.