We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

us to bali calling...

Fulton, Missouri
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
us to bali calling...

I live in the us, my cell provider is Att. I am heading to my first Overseas trip to bali in april. I have a galaxy s3 phone and would like to keep in contact with my family while gone. Should I buy a prepaid calling card here in the us or buy a new sims card in bali & will it work in my phone? Also I have been told about skype, is the free wifi in most villages? I will be there for 12 days. Any info would be great!

1. Re: us to bali calling...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 15:35
Perth WA
Level Contributor
466 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: us to bali calling...

Not sure why your last reply was deleted, however, I have friends who always take a mobile phone - but it must be unlocked. Ie - not in contract and has been unlocked by the original plan provident.

She buys a SIM card in bali and Can ring her adult children in Western Australia for a short call every day and send numerous text messages - it costs her 50,000 rp and last her t least a week - if not 10 days.

The most important thing is that your phone is not still linked to a specific mobile phone provider - ie on a monthly plan where there is a charge for the actual phone itself.

I hope another forum memb from the US can provide you with specific details - as I can only help you with the way phone plans work in Australia.

Good luck!!

Mentioned in this post
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: us to bali calling...

Hi Brandy,

If you want to go the local sim card route you must check a few things first.

1 - Your phone is a GSM not a CDMA

2 - It is not simlocked to an operator

I bought a local simcard for my iphone in October with mostly data and call credit for rp 150.000. I had enough data to last over 2 weeks.

To get to call home over wifi or 3G you can use skype or viber. Both work well. Wifi is spotty at best and speeds are not really great.

san francisco
Level Contributor
488 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: us to bali calling...

Will be in Bali and Raja Ampat for about 5 weeks from the US. Is it possible to buy a cheap Indonesian cell phone with international texting capabilities ?i have an IPhone 5 and could Skype but may not have Internet in many places.

Mentioned in this post
Indonesian
Indonesian
1 Review
Bali, Indonesia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
331 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: us to bali calling...

San fransisco yes you can use your i phone 5 , wifi is in most places, I only every Facetime or whats app. Yes you can buy a cheap phone in Bali and a sim it wont cost much if you want that for texting. I have in the past though bought a micro sim for my iphone the guys in the shop will set it all up for you if you need to make calls once your credit is low you just buy more and the shop guys will load it up for you again, but you will find the credit lasts for ever. Just make sure your iphone is not locked to a carrier, if it is sort that out before you leave your country

Edited: 30 January 2014, 02:38
Denpasar
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: us to bali calling...

I think is beter you bay again in bali is vary chip jus USD 3$ the name is SIMPATI from TELKOMSEL

Sory I am tour driver from bali just USD 50$ per day

My email : nyomandanabali@yahoo.com

Thank you

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,019 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: us to bali calling...

nyomandana stop advertising your posts will be removed and your account closed by TA moderators.

8. Re: us to bali calling...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 05:22