We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time advice....

Stafford, England...
Level Contributor
276 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
First time advice....

Hello, I am traveling to bali for the first time in may, I am from the uk and I have never travelled outside Europe, I am coming with my girlfriend. I am a little nervous because I will be coming somewhere tottaly new to me and her. Finding out that the money exchange is far better changing in bali compared to the uk, I have never changed money abroad before and I am worried about the safety aspect etc, (I do not want to be scammed) best advice please, thanks

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,744 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time advice....

Hi Ben and welcome to the Bali forum. And welcome outside Europe, it's quite different but I'm sure you'll survive. Do read the FAQ about money changing, but essentially don't go into backstreet little places, know what to expect for the exchange, ie, if you're getting 19000 to the pound and you're exchanging £100, then it's a simple case of multiplication. Don't leave the exchange counter until you've counted your money. Or use ATMs, but be aware of foreign withdrawal and transaction fees imposed by your bank, and you get the money before the card. Also register your ATM card for use abroad, otherwise expect it to be blocked the first time you use it - it's then an expensive call back to your lender in the UK to get it unblocked.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time advice....

Welcome to the Bali forum Ben. We're a friendly lot on here so any questions you have just ask & someone will probably have the answer. The exchange rate at the moment is the best I've seen in several years! If you look on the right hand side of the page "Top questions about Bali" you'll find a link to Money Changers & Currency Advice. Follow the advice & you shouldn't have any problems. Where are you staying in Bali? If you post & ask for recommendations for a moneychanger near such & such hotel I'm sure you'll get some recommendations. Some are very honest & others are not unfortunately.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time advice....

Also take a look at Oanda. com. You can print out currency conversion sheets called cheat sheets. They're small enough to fit in a wallet. I often print one for British pounds to IDR & one for IDR to British pounds & laminate them. They're really useful when you're out shopping.

Legian, Indonesia
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time advice....

I just take the bulk of my money in a sock in my luggage and a little in my wallet for the air port duty and taxi fair, only go to the taxi booth at the air port if you don't have transfers organised, the taxi blokes out side will rip you off and settle on a price before entering the taxi, I exchange my money at an actual money exchanger shop not a crappy back street job because every time they will rip you off, and a must is that you are the last person to count your money, the dodgy street money exchangers will count it again after you and that's when they grab some of the money and rip you off, I try not to use cards over there for fraud reasons I just take a little more money then I think I'll need over there, I never walk around with a back pack , my misses keeps her hand bag in front of her at all times never beside or behind, we take precautions but we never have an issue and feel very safe , I say better to be safe then sorry

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,744 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time advice....

Don't be nervous Ben, it's an adventure, and you see a few Brits in Bali - quite a few wear flat caps which I find unusual as they are not farmers and it's not exactly cold. You also see a load of Aussies there but you can't understand a bloody word they say. You're in the right place to ask for advice so fire away.

Edited: 01 February 2014, 21:43
Stafford, England...
Level Contributor
276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time advice....

Glad to know your all here to help!, I have done masses of research I must admit, I booked last september and have done nothing but research since, I am traveling for 17 nights, 8 nights near jimbaran and 8 nights near canngu, I dont really want to be using my debit card over there for chargers and exchange rates with my bank etc, so I was planning on taking all cash (gbp) which will be alot because I am travveling to singapore on the way back to uk for 3 nights. My hotel driver is picking is up from airport on arrival in bali, however I wont have any idr, I also need to pay for the hotel on arrival, what is best to do ? Change money at airport...

Edited: 01 February 2014, 21:59
Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,744 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time advice....

Either change a small amount in the UK, ie, £50, or to get more for your money change a small amount at the airport after you've gone through immigration and customs in Bali to get you going. You'll get more for your exchange than in the UK, but slightly less than in your resort. There are money changers in Singapore airport should you need to change surplus rupiah or pounds into SGD for your time there. Try not to faint from shock when you get charged £7 for a bottle of beer in Singapore.

Stafford, England...
Level Contributor
276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time advice....

I have been advised! I wil try not too haha, will my hotel charge me before my stay or after? Do you think I should change alot at money exchange or go every few days to change ?

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time advice....

Usually you pay your hotel bill when you check out. You can ask your driver to stop at a moneychangers on the way to your hotel in Jimbaran. Sorry I can't recommend one as I haven't stayed in Jimbaran. Usually hotel rooms have a safe or if not there'll be safety deposit boxes at reception. I usually change money every few days.

Stafford, England...
Level Contributor
276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time advice....

I think I will change 100 gbp at airport to get us up and running, I have been using balibestrate.com as a guide for exchnage rates, they have shops throughout bali, any idea on them.? Thanks