We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gift for village visit

Adelaide
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Gift for village visit

Our driver who we've used many times before has offered to take us to his village to meet his family when we arrive in a few weeks and we're thinking a gift would be a nice way to show our respect and appreciation. This may sound like a silly questions but could anyone provide us with suggestions as we're not sure what to get !!

Thanks.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,617 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gift for village visit

Not a silly question..

I would bring a nice can of cookies that eveyrone can share and enjoy. If you bring things for individual people you never know if there will be enough to go around the extended families in the compound usually have several generations and lots of kids and parents.

If you want to bring something else, books or decks of cards or a chess set that eveyrone can use are also good gifts.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gift for village visit

Thank you for your response.

We were thinking something like that, perhaps Lollies for the kids too.

Thanks again.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,617 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gift for village visit

You are welcome!

However, please think twice about bringing candy and sugary sweets. (assuming that is what you mean by lollies) Balinese children eat way too much candy on a daily basis here...and it's incredibly cheap and plentiful...Diabetes is rampant even among young people.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
334 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gift for village visit

How lovely, I'm sure it will be a great experience. Stationery items for the kids ie colouring in pencils, Australian animal stickers, a soccer ball, second hand clothes (collect from friends and family back home) - they are my ideas anyway

Victor Harbor...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gift for village visit

We visited friends village in Kintamani, we took rice, coffee, noodles & a lot of love....enjoy your visit

Adelaide
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gift for village visit

Oh ! Perhaps not such a good idea about the candy for the kids then !! Thanks for your advice ubudpuppy.

Great idea Julie. We'll bring some colouring in books, sticker books, crayons, pencils etc etc from OZ then we'll look for some ball games when we arrive as I'm sure we'll be able to pick something up from Bintang shopping centre.

Thanks.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,617 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gift for village visit

Clothes are ok to give if you know the people and sizes, and preferably brand new...I never give second hand clothes as gifts, I always buy brand new items that I think suit the recipient well.. In my own personal thinking, if one of my friends came from New Zealand (for example) and brought me their old clothes it would give me the idea that I am not worth something new.

Also problematic with personal items such as clothing is that you don't know if you will have enough to go around for everyone. Giving gifts to some but leaving some people out is not a good thing in a Balinese family.

I am presuming your driver friend invited you over to have a meal, not to receive charity.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,617 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gift for village visit

oops! Missed your last post..while I was typing LOL

Crayons and pencils are very inexpensive here...If you can get inexpensive watercolors and colored chalks I thnk that would be more "unusual."

Another thing that I give to friends are good quality recyclable bags to replace the horrible one-use plastic bags. The ones in great colors and designs are always really appreciated, with foreigners as well as Indonesians.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
580 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gift for village visit

Thanks upudpuppy, I really like the idea of the recylcable bags. I have some really nice ones that I have bought from surf and clothing shops in Oz. They only cost $1 or $2 so will definitely take them over with me and give out to the locals.

jakarta
Level Contributor
666 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gift for village visit

Hi. Have a read on the LP TT forum re: what are suitable gifts for the villagers/natives in Indonesia? . :-D