We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali Airport - Nov 2013 Experience

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Bali Airport - Nov 2013 Experience

Just wondering if anyone has noticed if the internal areas of the Bali airport have been completed and the process of getting in and out has improved ?

Last there in Nov 2013 - Ex Perth arrival 9PM - No Air Bridge and bused to Arrivals.

Landing to outside taxi was about 45 mins - not too bad

For a Midnight Departure arrived at 9PM ....... thankfully.

After negotiating the long queue to initially get into the airport ( only 2 baggage scanners) most of the Departure Hall was portioned off. Lighting was poor in checkin / immigration but at least aircond was just OK. From Taxi drop off to departure lounge 2Hrs 35 Mins !!

It appeared access to all the gates was through a winding corridor with partitions either side - very few shops - no seating near departure gate ( they were cordoned off till just prior to departure).

Then we had to line up and have our cases checked for a third time by security who arrived with a portable table !!

I have seen pictures of Bali Airport showing many shops - Escalators - Seating - Did I mis something ?

I realise the Security / Immigration staff have a serious job but a smile and a

Thank You / Terima Kasih wouldn't go astray.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali Airport - Nov 2013 Experience

We arrived 22 Jan at 10am .Air bridge straight into the Terminal & went through the Airport from start to out in 20 mins. I cant give a bad comment because it was a piece of cake!!

We left 31 Jan at 2300 & once again had no problems at all. The seats & toilets near gate 1 are crowded with people but if you walk down to gates 4 & 5 ,you will find plenty of room to sit & empty toilets.

The security checks were no big deal. Quick & efficient

The food options are still a bit scarce but as a whole experience for us ,it was very positive!!

Cheers Mac

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
606 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali Airport - Nov 2013 Experience

Yay, thanks Mac, so nice to get a positive response ,only 5 weeks can't wait.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali Airport - Nov 2013 Experience

Thanks good news - Thanks

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali Airport - Nov 2013 Experience

I've posted in other threads about this as I went through this place last week. The routine of having carry on baggage searched at the gate before being bussed to the aircraft appear only to be reserved for Australian flight carriers like Virgin and Jetstar. These bag searches they are looking to confiscate drinks that have been purchased from the food/drink outlets under the guise that liquids aren't allowed on board flights. They have either taken this rule too seriously or are reaping the extra profit by getting back the product they've just sold so they can sell it again.

I'm not sure whether or not it's to do I with our prime minister being locked in a dispute over asylum seekers with their prime minister but I experienced, witnessed and have heard of some very disgusting treatment of Aussie travellers.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali Airport - Nov 2013 Experience

Well the issue of the political "problems" does worry me a touch - planning on going back in Aug. - Would hate to think that Aussie's are treated any differently than other travellers - Bali relies on a fair percentage of their tourist $$$ from Aussies.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali Airport - Nov 2013 Experience

That's true but at the departure stage I noticed a big difference in mood and their approach. Remember at that stage they have your money.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali Airport - Nov 2013 Experience

Oh, and don't get me wrong nothing wrong with the people on the island itself, just the Indonesian authorities tend to make the experience uncomfortable.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bali Airport - Nov 2013 Experience

Totally agree TH_Geelong - The vast majority of "locals" are beautiful people and I have made long term friends with a number of them.

In conversations with them they don't seem to have much praise about "the main island" and it politics. Although not stated, but reading between the lines, they would much prefer to be independent from "Jakarta"

I may be wrong but I get the impression that security / immigration staff and possibly even Police may not be born & bred Balinese but from "the main island"

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bali Airport - Nov 2013 Experience

There is also a similar prblem with liquids leaving Bangkok, so I don't really think this is political, its more to to with the airlines, and how they interpret Australian policies .

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bali Airport - Nov 2013 Experience

We were treated very well by all the Airport officials & the stuff being confiscated in carry on baggage has been happening for years. We were seeing people trying to scull 1 litre bottles of water before going through the carry on bag search.

What the!! A 20c bottle of water!!!

Cheers Mac