We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware when using booking.com.au

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Beware when using booking.com.au

Made a booking for a hotel in Bali on booking.com.au. The price advertised was Australian dollars but when they charge you on the credit card, they charge you in the currency where the hotel is and the bank will charge you a conversion rate on top,

melbourne
Level Contributor
4,257 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware when using booking.com.au

That's when a 28 degrees MasterCard comes in handy. No currency conversion fees.

I use it while travelling, but also when purchasing anything not in AUD.

Tamborine
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware when using booking.com.au

Yes it's not good ,but it does explain this in the terms and conditions .

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware when using booking.com.au

A little unfair to Booking.com.au I think you should be stating beware what credit card you use when paying overseas for bookings online.

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,909 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware when using booking.com.au

Very unfair to booking.com, who are one of the best around (for what they offer).

Especially considering this practice is fully disclosed prior to booking and is common practice for most re-bookers worldwide.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,936 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware when using booking.com.au

I use booking.com. Details about room charges / total to be paid are in the terms and conditions and should be read before proceeding to payment.

The total price always says the amount in AUD and the amount the cost will be in either Rupiah, USD ( or what ever currency the hotel uses).

Then straight under that it says

"you will pay in the hotel's local currency"

I also use a 28 degree credit card when necessary to avoid any charges.

Booking.com are not the only on line agents that charge in other currencies. It is hotel policy and giving them a bad write up is not fair when they have provided the correct information on their booking page.

Nagambie, Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware when using booking.com.au

I have used booking .com numerous times for Bali travel and had no problems, when spending your money first always look at terms and conditions so you cannot complain later.

Hastings, Australia
Level Contributor
630 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware when using booking.com.au

I didn't realise this either... Westpac added an extra $62 onto the price. Didn't even think to use my 28 Degrees card.

8. Re: Beware when using booking.com.au

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 06:21