We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to pay for our villa - USD or Rupiah?

Perth WA
Level Contributor
456 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
How to pay for our villa - USD or Rupiah?

Hi there - 4 couples have booked a villa thru Bugis Villas for end of Feb. We have already paid deposit of around $1400 USD and are required to pay balance on arrival.

We paid the deposit by bank transfer and it equated to approx $1600 AUD plus $40 in bank admin/international transfer fees.

We are now wondering what is best way to pay for the balance of almost $4000 USD.

if we pay by credit card (per couple) we are charged 3% surcharge plus whatever our bank charges for the international transfer (in our case $40 per couple), we have option of we take enough AUD,then change to Rupiah at money changer OR, we take enough AUD and change to USD in Bali OR change to USD in Aust and take to Bali to pay balance of accom.

I'm thinking, whichever way we do it, we do it as a group, rather than everyone pay an international transfer fee or exchange fee.

We know we are at the mercy of the exchange rate on any given day, but just wondering if anyone has had similar issue that has found best way to handle it?

Much appreciated TA members.

Cheers Chenin

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to pay for our villa - USD or Rupiah?

I think the best way is to pay in rupia, take your AUD with you and cash it in Bali. Thats the way we do it.

You will find that converting to USD over here will be a loss situation and buying USD in Bali will be difficult. We usually bring a couple of grand in IDR back to oz for our next trip. It's a bit bulky but no drama.

BTW you did well with the retic guy, that's what I do and our callout is $85 alone ;-)

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,588 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to pay for our villa - USD or Rupiah?

Hi chenin

I would do as Bofman says - after all rupiah IS the legal tender in Indonesia and it is with that you should be paying if you are paying in cash. IF you pay with credit card in Indonesia it also has to be done in rupiah.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

3. Re: How to pay for our villa - USD or Rupiah?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2015, 06:20