We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Obtaining a travel visa in advance of arrival

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
65 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Obtaining a travel visa in advance of arrival

My travel agent indicated that we should apply for a travel visa before arriving in Bali as if we do the visa on arrival we could be turned away and sent back to the states. They of course will charge us a somewhat significant fee to do the application process. I cannot seem to find anywhere to do it. We are staying for less than 30 days, if that makes a different. Has anyone done this themselves?

Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Obtaining a travel visa in advance of arrival

If you are staying for less than 30 days there is no necessity to obtain a visa before you arrive. Everything is explained on the right of this page under the heading Top Questions about Bali. I can only assume that your travel agent is misinformed or trying to make an extra buck out of you!

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
8,173 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Obtaining a travel visa in advance of arrival

Why would your travel agent think you would be turned away? I would be dumping that travel agent immediately.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Obtaining a travel visa in advance of arrival

The travel agent is only after your money - do the visa on arrival and print out the above information and give it to them so they are better informed for furture customers.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,609 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Obtaining a travel visa in advance of arrival

Hi CJ

It is a Visa On Arrival and cannot be obtained before arrival. If you want to stay more than 30 days and less than 60 days then it is a different matter. Your travel agent is talking absolute rubbish .

Cheers

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
11,631 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Obtaining a travel visa in advance of arrival

Agree with all the comments above. Your Travel Agent's advice is terrible and I would wonder about the other advice he's giving you.

In fact, unless he's getting you incredible deals on flights I would do the trip planning yourself...super easy to do! Feel free to ask us more questions here if you need any advice at all...We are a very friendly group!

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
11,631 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Obtaining a travel visa in advance of arrival

I do want to mention that you should have:

Passport with at least 6 months validity remaining

ticket back out of the country within 30 days.

Cost of visa on arrival is USD 25, payable in cash.

jakarta
Level Contributor
666 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Obtaining a travel visa in advance of arrival

Hi ubudpuppy. Maybe the flight out is more than 30days? OP can tell more info if this is so?

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
8,173 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Obtaining a travel visa in advance of arrival

sambal g the OP has stated they will be staying less than 30 days so I don't think that is an issue.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,019 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Obtaining a travel visa in advance of arrival

I would be going to another travel agent, if they are giving you incorrect information on visas then I hate to think what they have recommended for accommodation, transfers and other things.

Visas for stays of up to 30 days are only available on arrival.

There seems to be a lot of travel agents who have never been to Bali who you shouldn't trust to plan your trip as they are only getting information from a glossy brochure for most things and could end up ruining your holiday.

jakarta
Level Contributor
666 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Obtaining a travel visa in advance of arrival

Hi fameNsw. Sorry if my post not clear. Maybe less than 30 days in Bali but total stay in Indonesia? Again if OP can give more info? If total stay is under 30 days, the info from travel agent is incorrect.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 11:48
Mentioned in this post