We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanur, Saminyak or Legian?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Sanur, Saminyak or Legian?

Hello,

We are a couple in our mid/late-twenties that are planning to travel to Bali in January 2015. We will be spending 10 days travelling Thailand before we fly into Denpasar. We are undecided on where to stay in Bali…but based on posts in this forum have narrowed it down to Sanur, Legian or Seminyak. Please help! We will be on somewhat of a budget. We are not fancy and are definitely not looking for 5 star (or even 4 star) accommodations. We will just have our backpacks with us. Our #1 requirement is proximity to a nice beach. We plan to spend at least 1/2 our time in Bali relaxing on the beach. We also are looking for things to do during the day (fun restaurants, locals to chat with, shopping) and a decent nightlife. Nothing too wild, but we want the option to stay out late and have fun if the mood strikes.

What area do you recommend we stay? And can anyone recommend a specific hotel/hostel?

Thank you!

Edited: 17 February 2014, 15:16
1. Re: Sanur, Saminyak or Legian?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 February 2014, 22:05
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanur, Saminyak or Legian?

Thank you for the recommendation Jean. We are hoping to stay closer to be beach. Within walking distance.

3. Re: Sanur, Saminyak or Legian?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2014, 13:23
Queensland
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanur, Saminyak or Legian?

Hi, I think from what you say you would probably like Legian more. It is not as high end as Seminyak price wise (there are some expensive places in Legian, but more so in Seminyak) and still be close to Kuta for clubs etc. I personally haven't stayed in Legian, so I can't recommend any hotels.

Not sure what your budget is, but I have stayed at the Royal Beach Seminyak resort which has direct beach frontage from their grounds. Legian hotels/resorts do not offer this, you have to cross the road. The Royal Beach basically borders both Seminyak and Legian and is just a few minutes stroll from the beach bars where you can sit on a beanbag and watch the sun go down whilst listening to music. Nice atmosphere there.

I have stayed in Sanur as well, and although lovely, I don't think it is right for you. It's more for families, older couples and people who probably don't want to party too hard into the night.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
793 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanur, Saminyak or Legian?

If you go for Legian or seminyak, be prepared to be disappointed by the beach. It's not a pretty beach to relax on, in my opinion. It's a surf beach, and is sometimes dirty. Hawkers also work the beach. bali cannot compete with Thailand beach wise. You might get more out of bali by going inland and experiencing the beautiful scenery and culture once you've had a nice beach holiday in Thailand.

sydney
Level Contributor
323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanur, Saminyak or Legian?

Sanur is quiet but has an ok beach and some nightlife. It's much more laid back than legian which is now really just an extension of kuta. In my younger days it was legian but now I just love sanur . Why not have a few days in each?

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,614 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanur, Saminyak or Legian?

Yes I would do half and half as suggested.

Better beach and quieter in sanur better shopping and nightlife in legian.

Look at Suriwathi hotel or Rosani hotel as a couple of cheaper options in legian.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,614 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanur, Saminyak or Legian?

Yes I would do half and half as suggested.

Better beach and quieter in sanur better shopping and nightlife in legian.

Look at Suriwathi hotel or Rosani hotel as a couple of cheaper options in legian.

They aren't on the beach as that pushes price up. But not far.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sanur, Saminyak or Legian?

Thank you everyone for your help! We will plan for two days in Legian and two days in Sanur (or maybe even Ubud to get away from the beach a bit).

10. Re: Sanur, Saminyak or Legian?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 06:19