We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jbr 15th feb to 22nd feb - Kuta

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
jbr 15th feb to 22nd feb - Kuta

Hi everyone, thought I'd do a JBR before I get back into the daily grind of life!

Myself, hubby and daughter and boyfriend (they were first timers, hubby and I had been to Bali before)

We flew Virgin Sat 15th Feb. We didn't know if we were going or not as flights on Friday were cancelled due to the volcano on Java erupting! I had booked through flight centre, and I never received one notice about this at all!!! All over the news they were saying all Virgin flights Friday and Saturday were cancelled! so you can imagine our worry, I went to a flight centre office on the Friday to find out what was happening (not the one I booked at) and they said, don't bother going to the airport on the Saturday as all flights were cancelled!!!!! Devastated to the max I can tell you! I then decided to ring my flight centre office, and they said to just keep checking the status for departures and at that time it was a wait and see. The next morning, our flight status was still saying scheduled, so we were off to the airport! only to be told when we arrived that the Virgin bosses were in a meeting to decide if they were flying or not! the let down was unbearable! the thought that we may have to go home wasn't something we wanted to think about! 1/2 hour later and it was all go!!! Yay, we were off to Bali with a FULL plane as the Friday cancellation put lots of those people on our flight. We didn't care, we were officially on holiday!!

The trip was ok, the food (yay we get free food on the plane finally) was ok, but the new airport was chaos!! soooo many people, and it took about 2 hours to get through the cattle grid of immigration! once through, we were off to find our driver! arrrgh the smells of Bali and the heat! A big smile was planted on my face. we found him ok, and a coldish water offered on the way.

We stayed at the Bali Gardens Beach Resort in Kuta, and it was a lovely place. 2 brm villa which was HUGE, so much room, the thing was bigger than my house! haha. the kiddys loved it. Downstairs was the Lounge, kitchen and large dining area, and upstairs were the two bedrooms, which were big enough to do cartwheels in (if you so desired). 3 toilets (a bonus incase we were sick) lol. our villa faced the ocean, so we had complete privacy and a little view of the ocean, and squirrels running through the trees in front of us! Lets just say....we lived on the balcony! haha.

the only problem we found with the resort was they only have 5 dvd players in the whole place!! not a big deal I know, but there were a few nights where we just wanted to relax and check out a couple of the movies we had purchased! we finally got a dvd player 2 days before we were to check out! the breakfast wasn't a huge variety, but plenty ok for us. I spoke to some people who were not impressed as they didn't cater for dietary conditions. The boardwalk restaurant which is kind of part of the resort but with different managers was amazing, we ate there a lot, each night they have some sort of entertainment, a smallest band (very good singers too) Balinese dancers, fire dancers, acrobats etc, all perfomed on different nights. the bar is right on the beach and the sunset is fantastic!! The resort has 3 pools, the swim up one is very popular of course lol.

We also ate at Bubba Gumps (right across the road from the resort) and it was awesome!! you pay a little more at this place, but it was worth it, the kids loved it!! we also ate at the The Stadium, a sports bar out front and loud, but out the back is quiet in a lovely garden setting. the food was ok, not as good as the boardwalk or bubba gumps.

No one got Bali Belly, just the odd rumble and traveller upsets, I didn't see anyone sick at all. I was more worried about all the sneezing going on lol. and came home sneezing on the plane, but feel ok now.

Our highlight of the trip was cyclying down the mountain and into the Elephant park for a show, lunch and ride on the elephants. The ride was 26klms, we stopped at a few villages (amazing and such an eye opener as to how some of the Balinese live) I am not fit at all, and on a few of the hills I just got off and pushed the bike up the hill. We had booked through Bali Adventure Tours, they were great.

We also had a day out at the Pura Bratan temple, (one of my fav temples), had lunch in Ubud at Johnnys which overlooks the rice fields and brought a few paintings at the art gallery there. The food at Johnnys was delicious, go upstairs so you get a better view, it's beautiful. The rice isn't big at the moment, only a few weeks old, but growning fast and still picturesque.

We did lots of shopping, relaxing and just enjoying the holiday.

Coming back home was good but also sad, I missed our dog like crazy, so was excited to see him again lol. we got through customs in Brisbane in about 30 mins, wow first time ever for me! but at 2am, I was very glad!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jbr 15th feb to 22nd feb - Kuta

Thank you Thank you have been hanging for a JBR or HNR , was a great read and will tied me over for our visit in 2 and half weeks . Thanks again for posting

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: jbr 15th feb to 22nd feb - Kuta

Thank you for reading, a bit of a novel I know, but as you, I was also hankering for some jbrs or hnr ones before I left. So thought I'd do it now, while it was all so fresh in my mind. Bali is very quiet at the moment, and they have been pushing for the Chinese to visit, so there are a lot of bus tours and visitors from China. Not surprising when you think of all the Bad Bali news on our TV's in Australia, which has probably turned a lot of Aussies off from visiting!

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
292 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jbr 15th feb to 22nd feb - Kuta

Hi Subie-50 and many thanks for your jbr.

So many of us survive the waiting for our own trips by reading (devouring) the latest jbr's/hnr's :)

Great to read that you all had a fantastic time.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,550 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jbr 15th feb to 22nd feb - Kuta

Great report. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jbr 15th feb to 22nd feb - Kuta

Great JBR, they're never long enough! Thanks.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jbr 15th feb to 22nd feb - Kuta

Thanks Subie for taking the time to write your review. I spent a few minutes reliving our downhill bike ride while I was reading about yours. It truly is a great experience and one that we will do again on our next trip. We've never stayed at the Bali Garden but have eaten there a few times and really like the place. Good to read you had a good time at Bubba Gumps. I read many mixed reviews of the place. The time we went wasn't so great so we haven't returned. I don't bother with dvd's anymore, I take my laptop with a couple of small speakers and its works well. My own portable entertainment centre. Its really handy up the east and north coasts where there aren't usually tv's in the rooms.

Thanks again for your report.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jbr 15th feb to 22nd feb - Kuta

Cheers!

And who doesn't want to do cart wheels when they are in Bali!

Will repay the favour of a JBR when we go back in may!

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
1,503 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jbr 15th feb to 22nd feb - Kuta

Hi Subie-50 it was great to read your JBR I wish more people posted them after their trips so we could all enjoy. I've done a bike trip before but never into the Elephant park for a show, lunch and ride on the elephants...what fun that must have been.

Cheers Caro

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jbr 15th feb to 22nd feb - Kuta

Awesome read, I return to bali in 3 1/2 days so this definitely got me even more excited if that was possible :)

Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: jbr 15th feb to 22nd feb - Kuta

Hooray for another JBR to read! Thank you :)