We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gongs!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
840 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Gongs!

Walked past a few stalls selling big gongs. Been wanting one for work so.... Any one for an idea of what to pay. Haven't gone as far as asking for a price yet, as I want to have a clue before the haggling begins. Thanks.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gongs!

The gongs sound really interesting Cowgirl. Can't help with the suggested price but I'd like to read more about them. Are they mounted on a frame with a donger? Sounds like something I would like to have. Please post information about the purchase price if you buy one.

I can only offer the process I adopt for unknown items. I ask a price and then mentally divide by four. If I think that's reasonable I'll offer that amount and start there. Often If they don't accept the 25% price I'll thank them and walk away. You know the drill, they'll either call you back or let you go. Then I know I need to offer a bit more to the next vendor.

Of course if the first price is ridiculous you just have to walk away anyway. A guy at the Kuta Arts Market asked $75.00 Aust. for a polo shirt. Even with my 25% rule it still came to $18.75 for a polo shirt at an art market. I had no-where to go so just handed it back and left.

I am keen to hear about the gongs, where they are and how much you paid. Good luck.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
8,834 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gongs!

Gongs are not all alike..You have to examine them, see what material they are made of, bronze, brass, or iron or a different alloy. Also is it made in one piece or is it piece together of one or two pieces of metal. Then check the sound and weight..the more metal and better the sound the more expensive it will be.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
840 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gongs!

Looks like ill have to bite the bullet and ask the stall holders some questions. Thanks for the ideas to get me started.

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,322 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gongs!

Hi Melbcowgirl, the only gongs you will find in a market will be the ones made specifically for tourists. These are not the real McCoy. If you just want one for novality purposes then these will probably do.

If you want a gong hand made by a true crafsman, you would be lucky to find on "off the rack". Usually you have to place an order for it and it can take many months to make. The price reflects the workmanship. I have a 10" one I ordered in Bogor, waited 4 months to be made and paid $500 and that was 30 years ago. It is worth every $. I also have a 12" one from Tibet that came from one of the monasteries which cost $600,again worth every $.

5. Re: Gongs!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 05:28