We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Topic
Vaccinations?

Hi,

We are traveling to Bali in April.

Do we need to get any shots befor we go? Is it bad at the moment?

I have read old forums, people say speak to your doctor. But of course the doctor will say yes you need them. It's not that I don't trust what he says.

Just want to know from the traveller. And people who have been lately.

What are the things you need to be careful about etc?

Thanks all.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations?

Dengue fever maybe, rabies maybe if you get bitten by a dog or monkey, tetnus maybe, measles maybe, typhoid maybe - have I had any vaccination no and visited bali 5 times last year.

you really need to speak to a doctor its very personal choice

melbourne
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations?

We had Hep A and Thyphoid. Also made sure tetanus was up to date.

SansSouci
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations?

Have you organized Travel Insurance.

The first time i went to Bali i had never heard of Bali Belly and in all the years of travelling to Bali i've never had Bali Belly, an acute case of gastroenteritis which can be caued by either bacterial or parasitic infection. It's characterized by adbominal pain, which usually comes in waves, by nausea, by vomiting & by diarrhoea.

If you suffer this best to ask staff at reception at your accommodation to call you a Dr or go to a Clinic/Hosp. Don't wait till the next day or the next or post on the forum "Help, i think i've got Bali Belly"

Don't go into panic mode if you find yourself with an urgent need to sit on the loo while your tummy rumbles & your rear end explodes.

It's called Traveller's diarrhoea & occurs with a sudden change in diet, spicy foods, tropical fruits, etc. Imodium/Gastro-Stop provides effective relief from diarrhoea so i'd suggest to take a packet with you. Available off the shelf at the chemist (pack of 12 capsules) & take as directed on the packet.

Childhood vaccinations are they up to date eg Polio, Measles/Mumps/Rubella and ADT (Adult Diphtheria & Tetanus). I had a booster in 08'.

Dengue Fever, there is no vaccination available as yet, a good insect repellent containing Deet eg Bushman, Rid, Aerogard Tropical, Off contains Picaridin if you don't like the idea of using a repellent containing Deet & remember to apply the repellent.

Any cuts/wounds clean with bottled water, apply antiseptic lotion eg Betadine (available in Bali at Apotiks/Supermarket chemist counter etc)and cover with Bandaids/dressing. If it looks infected, go see a Dr.

Drink plenty of bottled water so you don't dehydrate.

Apply sunscreen regularly.

Care when crossing roads/lanes, watch out for motor bikes as well as cars etc.

Care on footpaths, sometimes the concrete plate has been removed & not replaced, easy to trip over it or fall down the hole it's supposed to be covering.

Don't pat/feed dogs (be aware of Rabies)and be mindful if planning on visiting Uluwatu & the Monkey forest in Ubud. Don't carry banana's/fruit/nuts & remove sunnies/hats etc (especially at Uluwatu)

**BEWARE there have been incidents of bag snatching by passenger on the back of motor biles.

Drink spiking at clubs/nightclubs don't leave drinks unattended.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
847 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccinations?

The reason people tell you to see your doctor isn't so they just tell you to have shots it's because they can get a copy of your vaccination history so can you !! My everyday doctor tells me not to get them ! But against his opinion I go to a different doctor and get them better to be safe than sorry I say !!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
658 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaccinations?

The last time we went to Bali (October last year) I approached my Dr with the same question, even though we had been to Bali the year before.

The main question from him was 'what were we doing whilst there?' ie what activities

If we were going to be going off the beaten track and have higher exposure to animals then he suggested the rabies shot, otherwise if you were doing the normal touristy things he said that the risk of contracting was relatively low (you have to come into contact with an infected animal, usually from a bite)

We have visited both the Ubud Monkey Forest and Uluwatu and have not had an issue with the monkeys (provided you follow the golden rules that @Sumahama has pointed out above).

We also come across stray dogs and don't approach or pat them (the same as what you would do at home).

We are going back again this year in December and again will not be vaccinating against anything.

It really is an individual choice, but I feel to be informed of your options then do some research online and still see your Dr as you may have underlying health issues that you have not pointed out in your post which may influence your Dr's recommendation to immunise or not.

But above all ENJOY BALI - I know we do :)

Edited: 11 March 2014, 19:28
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaccinations?

Hi,

I'm perplexed by your question, "Do we need to get any shots before we go? Is it bad at the moment?"

What do you assume is bad ?

The usual recommendation of seeking assistance from your GP is the best one you should get here. We are not qualified doctors and our personal choices might not apply to you. Some are taking every precaution others are carefree.

As Kiajas mentioned, the type of activities whilst there is also a factor and Mozzie protection to avoid Dengue is good practice.

Travel insurance is a must have.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
847 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vaccinations?

Also check your measles vaccine is up to date that of course is if you get vaccinations at home there is a outbreak in bali un immunized people that have visited bali have caused a outbreak in Australia which is life threatening to babies and toddlers so maybe not only think of yourself but think of others also

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vaccinations?

Strange goingonaholiday, I read the outbreak over Christmas was from the Philippines and a dancer attending a Hip Hop convention...

Adelaide
Level Contributor
847 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vaccinations?

Really? Strange that is I'm in adelaide and it was caused here by people coming back from bali originally a family of 6 then another few people to a childcare worker through the childcare list goes on you can freely obtain this information FYI :-)

10. Re: Vaccinations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:28