We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 8 last big day

Melbourne
Level Contributor
840 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Day 8 last big day

Got up, went to Breakfast. Some of the newly arrived guests were barking orders at the staff. One lady was literally trying to teach the egg man to cook eggs. Ate up, grabbed the washing from the 'Laundry today or naked tomorrow' place.

Headed couple doors down to meet Raff ready for our trip to Safari park. When we get there Raff tells us he forgot he had an airport pick up at 12pm and would mind going with his friend. Told him I wasn't happy and he wasn't getting any more chocolate out of me.

Anyhow got in the car with his mate Made and went to Safari park. He said it would be 1 and 1/4 hours, but traffic must have been good as we were there in no time.

We drove through Sanur on the way and I asked Made if we could stop at the Babi guling Warung on the way home.

Got to the park and Made said Raff had already made a reservation for us. He went up to the counter quoted a booking number and the lady told me $49 USd which is what we expected. Paid with a credit card, got our wrist band and headed over to security check. They were making people cloak food and drinks they had. Only small water bottles got through.

Walked through a small foyer and then a bus picks you up and drives you to the park proper.

We wander around the marine exhibits (about 10 tanks all up) of different exotic fish. Then walked around to see what the go was. Got the lay of the land. Went and saw Komodo dragon, porcupines and some Macaw birds. Saw an Orangutan sitting on a bench seat, having photos taken with tourists. Asked how much as was pleasantly surprised that it was free if you used your own camera or 120k for professional shot. Sat there for 2-3 minutes whilst husband snapped away. She was a six year old Orangutan who was very affectionate. Lots of hugs, happy to sit on your lap and pose for photos. Definite highlight of the park for me.

Went and got a seat about 10 minutes before "various animal education show". Some very rude obnoxious tourists (not Aussies for once!) turned up and literally started trying to push people closer together on the bench seats so they wouldn't have to stand. Think the look on my face kept them away from me. The show was ok. A bit like they were trying to do a Disney or Seaworld type show, except the animals are less cooperative and less exotic (dogs, guinea pigs, rats, cats, bird or prey and two very cute Orangutans. Show went for 20 minutes or so.

Elephant bathing was two elephants in a very small pond. Tethered the the front. Tourists can pay 30k for a bunch of carrots to feed them. Given that a few years ago we got to swim with, wash and play with Elephants at the Taro Elephant park we moved on ready to watch the Elephant show. It was quite a comical pantomime showing conflict between elephants and people. There was some hilarious over acting by one guy and the elephants did their best to pretend they had been shot etc. one even managed to hop off stage on three legs. It was not a elephant show like you see other places (like Taro or Zoo's) where the elephants do tricks, show off their talents, but more a storey with a message (that its all the elephants fault?).

Show over we head out and see the white tiger and lion exhibit. They are laying there refusing to move. There was another photo op here to pose with a lioness. But she seemed very dopey, was not moving at all and was on a chain, so let her be. We walked over to the Tvaro restaurant to check it out. As none of he animals were active seem to be the exciting place to lunch we had heard of. The lodge area looked nice enough though.

Headed over for our safari ride. Rides leave every 15 minutes and take about 30minuted. You get in a little bus and are driven through the different areas. The habitat is much better than most animal parks I've seen in Asia, but still lots of electric fences etc. Lots of deer, antelopes, fancy cows etc but then the big attractions. Hippos in the water right next to the bus. Baby giraffe (2months old), some more orangutans, and lions and tigers (sleeping). The safari vehicle is airconditioned and the guide gives an informative tour.

Decide we didn't need to ride an elephant or watch the theatrical performance of the Bali Agung show. We checked out the water zone to see what it was. Kids under 10 would love it. It would break up a hot day nicely.

Then mini bus back to the entrance and look for the driver. He had of course said he would wait "over there" with dozens of other drivers. All I could remember was he wasn't wearing a shirt like lots of drivers wear, he had thongs on and his name was Made. After about 5 minutes eliminating potential suspects turn around to hear my name being called. Once again the Balinise driver have been able to track us down in a sea of tourists.

Back into the car, drive through Sanur and find Warung Babi guling is closed. Driver suggests a cheap place he knows in Seminyak. Rain buckets down and traffic is slow. After a while we pull up on Sunset Road at a place called Pak Malen. We go in (only none locals in the place). A young girl of 9 or 10 comes over to help us. She explains (in perfect English) the standard 30k or special 40k options. Also of we wanted really spicey or not. We order the special and are served a lovely soup with potatoes and pork bones whilst we wait. Before you know it big plate of rice and big plate of Babi guling. No idea what all the bits are but love the crackle, the crispey bits and the meat. Mine was the not spicey one and it was SPICEY. Lovely but spicey.

All up 110k for the two meals, small Bintang and a red Fanta. Great place will have to come back next trip. Get dropped home at Kusnadi (even though its only 3.30pm pay the driver 500k for the day) and head inside to freshen up before our next adventure.

Walked down to the ATM as by sewing Lady had emailed me my bill. Hate that the ATM only lets you take out 3 million at a time. After the third go my phone rings. It "the falcon" from ANZ wanting to check if I was in Indonesia and had been taking money out. Glad to see how quick they were.

Walked down to Manik Sari to pick up the order. All perfect as ordered. Just as we leave (with 7kgs of leotards) the sky really opens up. Big fat heavy rain. We do our best to quickly make it home but by the time we get home completely drenched. To the point where I just strip off in the balcony of my room and grab a towel before going in.

Went and dried off. Husband decides he is going swimming. My protests of " you'll get wet" didn't deter him. I relaxed in the Bale. Read my book then decided to go down to check on the beach crew.

The boys at Roo bar started dusting of a chair for me, plugging in the generator for the stereo and bringing me a drink. Asked one of the beach lady's where Sandra was. She said she didn't come to work today. Before you know it Tina has Sandra on the phone. Sandra was very grateful for the shoes for Douglas and had to stay home and care for him as he was so sick. She says she will be back at the beach tomorrow to catch up before we leave.

Hang out for a bit. Get a massage (told the lady she must never tell number 10. Number 10 is a cranky lady).

Head back to the hotel and decide to go for dinner. We grab an umbrella to take with us. I want to go to Warung Murah again, but it is packed without a chair to spare. So we go to Tekkor. Food here is great. I had snapper in Bali spices and husband had mahi mahi. Both served with a salad as well as real mash potato and veggies.

Service was great, except when it came time for the bill. We asked 3 times and it took at least 15 minutes.

Anyhow sin ken ken. Walk home along the beach and through Jayakarta. Back to hotel. Bunch of guys from Captain cook bar call out to husband to come over for a few. So I head back to the room to contemplate if I need to add more luggage for the flight home and husband joins his mates.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 8 last big day

Awww, don't you just hate the feeling knowing it's your last day. Hope you make the most of today and look forward to reading your last report. They have been great reading and I will miss them.

coffs harbour...
Level Contributor
5,556 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 8 last big day

Thanks for all the great reports, have enjoyed reading all of them.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 8 last big day

Enjoyed reading your reports! Hoping your exit through the Airport is a smooth one.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
520 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 8 last big day

thanks again for a lovely report. please day hello to Tina and Anita on the beach from Donna in NZ. tell them we will be there in Oct to see them. Im guessing the Tina you spoke about is the same Tina from where you are staying. Enjoy your final few hours :)

Mount Martha...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 8 last big day

Thanks for the reports, they have been quenching my thirst for this wonderful place.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 8 last big day

"The Falcon" LMAO

Enjoyed reading each of your well written and highly entertaining reports.

Cheers

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 8 last big day

Thanks for all your reports. Have enjoyed reading every one of them.

Can you tell me if Warung Murah is on Double Six or Laksmana? I keep getting conflicting information about its location.

Thanks!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 8 last big day

We advise the bank before we leave oz that we will be in Bali and maybe using our cards, but as you say its good to see they're on the ball. Good to see the Tekor is still putting out good food in its new place on Double 6. Hope your airport experience on the way out is good. Thanks for the great reports.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
840 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 8 last big day

Hi Indigoboys. Warung Murah is on double 66. The Seminyak side of the road towards the beach.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Day 8 last big day

Thanks, that's what I thought.