We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to carry around cash

san francisco
Level Contributor
478 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
How to carry around cash

I understand that in general Indonesia is relatively safe. But is a money belt needed? I usually don't use one, (find it uncomfortable in the heat) and just put cash is a purse that goes across the front of me. Also are ATMs the way to go or money changers?

Thanks

Kalgoorlie-Boulder...
Level Contributor
436 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to carry around cash

Unfortunately, theft does occur in Bali- not often and thankfully never to us.

I wear a money belt, and my wife a shoulder strap across the front. Never put money in a wallet in your back pocket, or a hand bag that can be snatched.

Other than that, be careful at money changers and/ or atms when counting money or putting it away. Depending on the reputation of the hotel, some excess cash could be stored there, however, you will read stories of theft happening there as well. It pays to be safe.

We usually use ATMs, as I consider them generally safer than money changers, but beware your bank may charge a conversion fee ( ours doesn't ).

There are reputable money changers, but carefully check them out- don't use the back alley ones that advertise a good rate- they can be clever con artists!

We have used money changers too- the bigger ones and never had a problem,

Best of luck!

Edited: 16 March 2014, 19:14
san francisco
Level Contributor
478 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to carry around cash

Thanks for your reply. I was leaning towards a purse that stretches across the front. And I will be careful with money changers.

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
6,956 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to carry around cash

The authorised money changers are fine, read the section on the right hand side of the page about changing money. We have never used an ATM in Bali, and don't like carrying our cards around. That said, still always be aware of exactly how much rupiah you should receive (I use my phone to check calculation if I'm changing an odd amount), and count it carefully.

Both hubby & I use a small bumbag, I never take a handbag to Bali. Mine is very small with 3 sections. One has a spare $100 note (in case I'm out and need more rupiah). Another has a copy of travel insurance papers (if you're a long way from your hotel and have an accident, you can go directly to hospital), a copy of our passport. Another has rupiah, my phone and a pair of reading glasses - those tiny ones you can buy at the markets in Bali - fine for reading menu's etc.

Edited: 16 March 2014, 21:49
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to carry around cash

I prefer ATMs, I hate the stress and hassle of money changers. I get money out each day so if I do have a problem I can only lose that amount. I don't take a money belt or anything like that as yes, it is far too hot for that and it's hard to conceal in beach clothes anyway.

However after the recent postings about bag snatchings, I think I'll get a little card pouch to put my credit card in and slip it in my bra. That way if my bag is taken, I might lose some money but I won't lose the card.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to carry around cash

No dont wear a money belt -it is too hot , what I do is only carry one days worth of cash each day that way if something happens I have more at the hotel. About money changes only go to money changers where that is their only business ie not a table in the back of a shop except some circle ks now have a money change desk.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
142 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to carry around cash

I did try the pouch way and after 2 days, it was just way too hot for me.

So I do it the same way as veg-tony now. Before I go out, I make a rough calculation how much cash I would need and only bring those out, the rest I leave it in the room safe.

This way, I stay within budget and also if I lose the money, it's for that day only.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,915 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to carry around cash

Have never used a money belt in Bali for all the reasons already mentioned, but I have to say that I am considering it in May, with all the recent threads on robbery etc.

Pinjarra, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to carry around cash

I always use a money belt with only one days, or thereabouts, money in it. We change money daily at an authorised money changer and to date have had no problems.

Cheers

Sydney
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to carry around cash

My husband wears those cargo type shorts with the press stud pockets on the side and front, easy to slip some cash and/or card in there ... it evens out all the times I have to carry all his stuff in my handbag at home!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
690 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to carry around cash

I wear multi pocket shorts that have some hidden internal zip up pockets at the front. Daily supply of cash goes in one, cards in the other. If I need to swim I have a small waterproof thingy designed for small phones but is perfect for cards and cash.