We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport question & 1 week diving Bali

Boston...
Level Contributor
569 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Passport question & 1 week diving Bali

After looking at some Pacific destinations, I decided to visit Bali. Please help with a few questions:

1.In 2010 I visited Israel and they stamped my US passport. Any issues?

2. Any thoughts on visiting in November?

3. I would want to stay at Minibali Bunga'lo. If unavailable, I'd be grateful for any other recommendations. Thanks!

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport question & 1 week diving Bali

I'll answer 2 & 3 together. I'm assuming your preferred hotel is the one at Tulamben? I don't know your hotel, so can't comment on that, but September-November is the best time to dive at Tulamben, the seas are generally very calm and there is rarely any wind. Viz is usaully pretty good and their is rarely any rain.

We spend 3 weeks there each year at that time, and will be there again this coming November, so have a lot of experience diving there at that time of year.

Boston...
Level Contributor
569 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport question & 1 week diving Bali

Thanks for the prompt reply. The hotel is in Tulamben. The location is very close to some of the other hotels. It's top rated here on TA. I would be open to other choices, too.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g469406-d324761…

Tulamben first came to my attention when I viewed a video of the Liberty Wreck. It looks like most of the reefs have a great combination of wide angle and macro photo opportunities.

Regarding the Israeli visa stamp, I can get a second US passport if necessary. It would be nice to save the $110 processing just to have another passport that's only valid for 2 years.

Edited: 16 March 2014, 22:30
coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport question & 1 week diving Bali

Sorry, can't help with advice re your passport. Perhaps post it as a seperate question and see if you get any help.

I looked at the reviews of the hotel, and it seems to be a bit outside Tulamben main street. And there were some mentions of getting transported to the dive sites. That's OK if it suits the way you dive. We don't like having to get in and out of a vehicle with dive gear/cameras etc.

The main dive sites at Tulamben are the wreck, the coral gardens and the drop-off. Lots of great diving in between, depending on what you want to see. Brilliant macro all along the bay. We haven't even got to the wreck the past couple of trips - we get in to go there, and always get waylayed off to the left where there is some amazing stuff. We've seen 2 whale sharks in the past 4 trips as well.

We stay at Paradise Cottages, right in the middle of the bay and waterfront, right in front of the coral gardens. It's a very old and budget hotel, suits us just fine. It's where all the "old school" divers go, no one uses a guide, many dive solo etc. We hire a nitrox tank and just dive. So very affordable for a long stay. And easy to walk to the wreck or drop-off.

Other nearby waterfront hotels, Mimpi (upmarket) Matahari (mid range to budget), and Tauch Terminal (more upmarket). there is another place up past the wreck, sorry, can't remember the name. But you'd need transport to dive the coral gardens or the drop-off.

Tulamben Beach is not easy to walk on as it's loose cobblestones, so the less walking the better. Especially as we are 62 & 73.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you might have - especially about the diving.

Port Lincoln
Level Contributor
246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport question & 1 week diving Bali

Hi pretty sure Indonesia ok with Israeli stamp, it countries like Saud Arabia, Jordan it a problem. I suggest that you ask your embassy for the info! I know a few years ago Dubai wouldn't let you in!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport question & 1 week diving Bali

Bali is hindu rather than muslim so I would assume its ok - I have been a member of this forum for a long time and dont think that question has ever been asked before

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,758 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport question & 1 week diving Bali

The Israeli stamp in your passport is a non-issue...

Boston...
Level Contributor
569 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport question & 1 week diving Bali

Thanks, everyone!

Brighton, Australia
Level Contributor
322 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport question & 1 week diving Bali

If staying in Tulamben make a trip to Menjengin the diving is great, would split the time between both sites.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
613 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport question & 1 week diving Bali

We dove that northern coast of Bali in September and the conditions were ideal - I'm sure November will be the same. One alternative to staying in Tulamben is the Amed area. I say that only because the snorkeling in that region is amazing and a nice easy activity to do when you aren't diving (shore snorkeling Jemeluk Bay is amazing!). We didn't care much for the food in Amed, but then we were there for the diving. We stayed at the Kembali Beach Bungalows. Here are a few photos from our September dive of the Liberty Wreck, and snorkeling Jemeluk Bay:

www.bucketlistbums.com/amed-bali-indonesia/

Also, I hope you are dedicating a nice chunk of the trip to Ubud. : )

You're going to have a wonderful trip!

10. Re: Passport question & 1 week diving Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 05:15