We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Drivers and lone women

Durham City
Level Contributor
404 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi Drivers and lone women

How safe is it? I'm not exactly alone but am with two children. How do i Know who's car I am getting into and what is the safest way of doing this? I wonder if I should hire a car? How can we be sure that we're not being ripped off? If anyone knows of a foolproof way please let me know. Also.. the prices please if anyone has the information about that. Thanks.

UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Drivers and lone women

If you are getting taxi's be sure to get into a "blue bird" one, you can call these or flag them in the street, they are all identical cars and all always put the meter on but just to be sure as you get on just politely ask if the meter is on. If you are looking at a tour driver take the advice of any recomendations of drivers on the forum.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Drivers and lone women

Hi, I've never heard of anyone having trouble with taxis other than them wanting to bargain instead of puting the meter on. I have been to Bali 16 times. Most by myself and have never had a problem getting taxis even very late at night.

Don't be stressed about this.

For short trips just get a taxi. As soon as you get in say "please put the meter on". Very rarely they will say it's broken. Just say "OK I'll get anotyher one" and start getting out. It will soon be "fixed". This does not happen much nowadays.

For day trips get a driver. About 350.000rp for a full day.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Lancs, England
Level Contributor
261 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Drivers and lone women

As Jane73 says, Blue bird taxis are the way to go. They are known as being the reliable tourist ones so I wouldn't bother with any others. They all have photo ID's too.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
239 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Drivers and lone women

I take all taxis in Bali. I used to prefer the BlueBird ones as they used to have the best A/C. However, the crappy white taxis seem to have all disappeared and are now replaced with new silver/gray ones. These are fine, as well. If it has a sign on top, a meter and A/C inside... looks fairly new and is facing the direction I want to go... I'll take it.

Even with the gasoline hike, taxis are really cheap in Bali. I take them all over the place. Every once in a blue moon a taxi driver will suggest we go off the meter (usually if I am going to some rather distant destination). Sometimes I agree to go off meter, but I have taken so many taxis that I know the cost to get to most places. Other times I just say that I want to stay on meter and I have NEVER had a problem. In fact, I have noticed over the last year that I seem to get fewer and fewer requests to go off meter. In fact, I am often the one who initiates that request.

With respect to prices- give us an example of your starting point and your destination. It is hard to generalize on prices. Though... I can tell you that a taxi from mid-Seminyak (Jl Nakula) to Nusa Dua (the Westin) during the middle of the day (in reasonable traffic) will be approximately 85,000 IDR. To get from mid-Seminyak to the airport is ~ 45,000 (note that this is TO the airport, and not the flat fee they charge you going from the airport).

In the end... the general crappy driviers in Bali and crossing the street are bigger risks than your taxi driver (in terms of your personal safety and him ripping you off).

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Nusa Dua
Nusa Dua
Nusa Dua Peninsula, Indonesia
The Westin Resort Nusa Dua, Bali
The Westin Resort Nusa...
2,788 Reviews
Nusa Dua, Indonesia
Singapore
Level Contributor
97 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Drivers and lone women

Hi TravelSimone,

Could you advise what the taxi fare between Seminyak and Ubud would be? Would it be better just to get get two way transport arranged by the hotel?

Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
239 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Drivers and lone women

Getting the two-way transport between your hotel and Ubud will probably be a little more expensive than a taxi. Of course, I have NO idea what your hotel will charge you. I know that the prices quoted by hotels and villas vary wildly. I have heard of some that were downright reasonable and others that made my head spin.

Your taxi to Ubud could be ~130,000 (but I am really not certain as I have not taken a taxi to Ubud since the gasoline hike).

If you really want to save money, Perama has a shuttle bus that goes from Kuta to Ubud and it is something like 25,000. I have taken that a few times. But the downside here is that you have to get yourself to the Perama office/shuttle stop in Kuta. They go all day long.

I am trying to remember if you were the person who wanted to raft in the morning and then spend the afternoon in Ubud. If you are, you might be able to get the rafting company to pick you up in Seminyak before the raft trip and then drop you off in Ubud after the trip. This should just already be included in the price. At that point, you would only need to find someone to drive you back to Seminyak. The guys whispering "transpor" on the street in Ubud are dying for the business. I am certain they would be willing to negotiate a cheap price on your return. Remember that wages are so low there that people are happy to make a small amount of profit even if it takes them a long time to do so.

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
239 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Drivers and lone women

OK, I just looked at the posting. Plastic is the person who wants to go rafting/biking. I know for certain that Sobek will pick you up in Seminyak in the morning before the bike trip and then drop you off in Ubud after the trip for no additional fee. I think the bike trip and everything included (transport, breakfast, lunch, bike, helmut, guide, water, etc. is US$68- a little steep, but well worth the expense). BTW... the lunch they provide is in a nice restaurant on the edge of Ubud.

Mentioned in this post
Bali Sobek
Bali Sobek
361 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Singapore
Level Contributor
97 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Drivers and lone women

Thank you so much, TravelSimone. Your advice and tips are so helpful and informative.

Apologies to the original poster for jumping in with my question!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi Drivers and lone women

I always stick with Blue Bird Taxis. The drivers in my experience are always a lot friendlier than the White taxis (which are apparently now silver!).

All drivers in Blue Bird taxis have their photo ID up on the dash, so note their driver number, but I don't think you'll have a problem. Just ask for 'Taxi Meter' when you hop in the cab. For longer trips you can negotiate - take some taxis locally and get a feel for the prices.

I stayed in Nusa Dua (I was there today 1 year ago, sigh!) and caught a taxi from Kuta to Nusa Dua by myself (BF stayed in ND). I was unfortunate to have a panic attack in the cab on the way back (I had a moment of feeling unsafe as it was about 10pm and I was alone). When I ended up back at the hotel I promptly paid the driver the amount he originally asked for for putting up with me, and for putting me at ease. He was wonderful!

Make the most of the drivers' friendliness and knowledge of the area, ask questions, and above all show your appreciation of their service at the end of the fare. If tipping isn't your thing, make sure you have smaller notes ready like 5 x $1IDR. They generally don't carry change for larger notes - don't even try $100,000IDR!

Good luck, hope you and your kids have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Nusa Dua
Nusa Dua
Nusa Dua Peninsula, Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Bali
Level Contributor
535 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi Drivers and lone women

You should be able to get a cycling trip for US$ 43.00 and combine with rafting for US$ 73.00 from Bali Adventure as I don't think Sobek has a cycling program

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Bali Sobek
Bali Sobek
361 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia