We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indian currency to indonesian currency

delhi
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Topic
Indian currency to indonesian currency

Hi,

I am travelling bali in mid April from new delhi. Just need a heads up shall i take USD with me and convert then to IDR there?

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indian currency to indonesian currency

Whatever currency you take, cash it in Bali, not before you leave.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indian currency to indonesian currency

Have you considered just withdrawing Rupiah from ATMs once you arrive?

London
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indian currency to indonesian currency

I wouldn't advise converting rupees to US dollars and then into rupiah as you will end up losing each time you convert from one currency to another. And if you have any left over, you will lose out again when you try to change them back to rupee.

I am sure the banks and money changers in Bali will be able to change your rupee to IDR. And, as stated above, you can also use your cards to withdraw IDR from ATMs.

What I'm less sure about is whether you can pay for your Visa on Arrival at the airport in rupees. Perhaps some other Indian travellers can answer this question?

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indian currency to indonesian currency

I seem to recall reading somewhere that you have a 10000 rupee limit per person on the amount of rupees you can leave India with in cash (this equates to around $165). Even if you find a money changer who will change rupees (not one of the major currencies you see on money changers boards), this won't get you far.

So in your situation, it would probably be better financially to use your ATM card rather than converting rupee to USD to IDR, but check with your bank for any fees they charge for using your ATM card abroad.

5. Re: Indian currency to indonesian currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 06:16