We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for 2 day layover?

alberta, canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for 2 day layover?

So I bought a flight deal that included a layover in Bali and I've been busy planning the rest of the trip and haven't really figured anything out about what to do in Bali.

I arrive on a Saturday morning and fly out Monday night so I really have about 3 days.

I fly into / out of Ngurah and was thinking of staying around Ubad and just enjoying the beach and taking some yoga classes, but then I read the scuba diving was great.

Is there good diving around Ubad, or will I need to stay on the North side of the island if I want to go dive for a day?

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for 2 day layover?

Hi, I think you mean Ubud and it is not near the beach so no scuba diving from there! I think if you want beach time, but only have a short amount of time you should stay somewhere closish (1/2 hour) from the airport. Perhaps Sanur?

Travelling in Bali can take a long time, so even though the island looks small on a map it isn't and traffic can be very busy in some places. What might take you 1 hour on an Aussie road (for me) could easily take up to 3 hours in Bali.

I suggest you do a bit more research on the areas in Bali to see what place is for you.

alberta, canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for 2 day layover?

Thanks! Ubud is where I meant. It seems close to the airport and tons of recommendations of other stuff to do around there. I'm just debating how much I'll want to go diving, vs hanging out around a town.

Edited: 03 April 2014, 02:04
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for 2 day layover?

There's lots of accommodation in Tuban/Kuta/Legian/Seminyak for a few days, Ubud is about an hour away (more when traffic is heavy) and is probably not a good choice for a short stay.

You can go for a day's dive but given you'll have flights, unless you go straight away on Saturday, you may not have enough time to safely dive. Plus the drive over to the diving sites is even longer than the one to Ubud (about 2.5-3 hours one way) - in all, I'd suggest just relaxing and staying around the coast/airport area, maybe doing a half day tour of local sights.

And yes, do what Chazwazza suggests and research a bit more, there's lots of information on this and other forums.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for 2 day layover?

Stay in Sanur, Fit a single dive in on Sunday Leaves you within the safe min 12hours before flying, Contact the Dive centres within Sanur, or Kuta. On Monday get a driver for the day about $50-$60 USD and Drive up to Ubud and driver will drop you off at the airport for your flight. Spend Saturday walking around Sanur and Beaches and a few bars. OR do the Same and stay in Seminyak. Just watch the Heights of the mountains, Don't go up to the volcano on Monday.

5. Re: Where to stay for 2 day layover?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 12:35
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for 2 day layover?

I recommend Sanur. You can scuba dive nearby - Manta point diving with manta rays is great and the boat leaves from Sanur. Or you could do dive sites around Padang Bai or Candidasa easily from Sanur - I use Joe's Gone Diving when staying there. A two dive trip to one of these areas with Joe's has you back in Sanur early afternoon, so you could safely do this on Sun if your flight is in the evening on Monday.

Sanur also has a nice beach, good restaurants and spas and enough shopping for my tastes. It would also be easy to do a day trip to Ubud and surrounds from there.

Edited: 03 April 2014, 09:17
7. Re: Where to stay for 2 day layover?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 April 2014, 13:35
Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for 2 day layover?

HI Aebal,

You better stay in eastern part of Bali, very good nature, relaxing and have many diving spot.

Have a good holiday

9. Re: Where to stay for 2 day layover?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 06:16