We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yoghurt in bali for diabetic son.

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Yoghurt in bali for diabetic son.

Wanting to plan a family holiday to bali. But my 4 year old and I both have an unusual form of diabetes. We control with diet alone at the moment. My son is very limited in what he can eat and only has greek yoghurt for breakfast at the moment. I am wondering if this type of high fat low sugar/carbohydrate yoghurt can be found in bali!?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Yoghurt in bali for diabetic son.

Hi Jess!

I have type 1 diabeties and surprisingly eat a lot of yoghurt whilst staying in bali. Personally my favourite is their "Blush" branded yoghurt, packed with loads of fruit and oddly enough veggies (still tastes great) found in most mini marts or circle k stores. Also you will find some packaging doesn't have nutritional information in English, though most shop keepers will happily translate providing they speak English. Hope this helps :)

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
4,646 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yoghurt in bali for diabetic son.

I think I would take some with me in a container in a cool pack in my suitcase. This allows time to check out the shops to see if you can get what you want - or find the best compromise.

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
4,646 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yoghurt in bali for diabetic son.

... a question on the Bali Expat forum may help.

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Yoghurt in bali for diabetic son.

Would this be allowable,

Taking yoghurt on the plane? Thanks for the idea!

Edited: 05 April 2014, 01:06
Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,763 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yoghurt in bali for diabetic son.

You can take food with you. I take all kinds of food due to my child's severe food allergies. All you do is tick the declaration card stating you have food. The majority of times they just wave you through and don't even look.

Just remember you cannot take any liquids over 100ml in hand luggage so tubs of yoghurt for example must be packed in your suitcase with ice bricks.

There are also some large supermarkets in Bali that supply all types of food. I also suggest you go to somewhere like Carrefour, Bintang Supermarket or similar and stock up when you arrive.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,535 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yoghurt in bali for diabetic son.

I buy yoghurt in Bali to have on my pancakes at breakfast :) however I am not sure if I have seen Greek yoghurt.

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Yoghurt in bali for diabetic son.

How do you find the taste of this yoghurt? Is it very sweet?

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yoghurt in bali for diabetic son.

I try avoid sugar and have bought home made sugar free yoghurt in different places.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,535 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yoghurt in bali for diabetic son.

I like the mango one and it tastes very mango.

Yes there are many different varieties.

I make my own at home, a yoghurt maker from Woolworths for about $15. Easyo.

The sachets of yoghurt (yes greek) are about $3 or $4 and it's like a big thermos.

All you need is boiling water for the thermos and bottled water (in Bali) to make the sachet up....leave 12 hours and then place yoghurt in the fridge. Makes 1 kilo.

I think that $15 is probably cheap enough to take over and leave behind if you didn't want to lug it back.

Just another option.

Edited: 06 April 2014, 01:52
Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Yoghurt in bali for diabetic son.

Thank you Perth, this is a fantastic idea!