We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkelling in bali

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
snorkelling in bali

Okay, you want to snorkel in Bali?

What do you need?

Goggles/mask

Snorkel

Fins

Nice to have

Weight belt and weights ( a plastic bag with sand or rocks tied to your belt does the trick)

Sunscreen

Rash shirt

Underwater camera

Anti fogging spray

Where do I get this gear?

For a perfect fit and health reasons, I bring my own gear

Hire – check gear before committing yourself – does it work ( no leaks)? does it fit ( too tight, too loose)?

If on a tour, the gear is included but still check beforehand

Buy in Bali – in the supermarkets, as yet, I have only seen poor quality gear

Eco friendly?????

Take only photographs

Do not step on coral getting in and out of the water

Tips

Fresh water rinse helps for marine biters eg lice

Fresh water rinse your gear (lasts longer)

Ask locals/tourists before you enter the water – get info on currents, best time, any stingers?

Get into trouble raise your hand (you might be lucky that someone can help)

Know how to swim and know the limits of your swimming (currents can get very strong with a tide/wind/swell change or just by going beyond the shelter of a bay)

Taking kids out

Great shared bonding experience

Tips

Stay close

Younger kids prefer goggles to mask and snorkel

Take a body board – floatation and helps if a problem eg kids get tired, warns boats

Where can I snorkel?

Areas good for snorkelling are:

Bukit

Sanur area

Padangbai area

Candidasa area

Nusa lembongan

Nusa penida

Amed

North bali – lovina, pemuteran, menjangan

The west coast is too murky

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,026 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkelling in bali

Thanks RockT..great tips and information.

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,365 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkelling in bali

Thank you rockterrigal. There is not enough first hand information about snorkelling and diving available. I am pleased you put it on FAQ and hope you add more detailed information to it. As a keen snorkeler I look forward to hearing about places I have not tried yet.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkelling in bali

Thanks Rock, a very welcome and worthwhile addition to the Top Questions Lists.

coffs harbour...
Level Contributor
5,691 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkelling in bali

Thanks RT, I'll add a bit more....for mask anti-fogging:

1 Saliva - cheap and always with you! spit in maks, rub around with finger and rinse off. Works well, but not so well if you've just eaten a greasy meal!

2. Anti-fogging sprays can be expensive. A cheap and excellent alternative is Johnson & Johnson Baby Bath - in a light blue container. Very cheap at supermarkets in Bali and is soap free, so fine for the environment. A small squirt in the mask, rub around & rinse off. Also, if you are wearing sunscreen, you can clean your face to help stop your greasy face from fogging the mask.

Snorkelling is also excellent at Tulamben.

To check that your mask fits properly: put the mask up to your face, do not put the strap around your head. Breathe in and hold your breath. Try to pull the mask off, if there is enough pressure to hold it on, then it fits. If it easily falls off, it won't seal well in the water.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 03:00
Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkelling in bali

Great advice and tips for people wanting to snorkel, although I don't understand the weight belt for snorkelling?

I have just had a few days in Amed with a friend who is not confident in the water - however this time she snorkelled using a woggle (pool noodle) under her arms and round her chest and felt much safer and was able to happily venture further from shore.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,074 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkelling in bali

Here is brief information about Pemuteran to Menjangan and something I received from Friends of Menjangan as well. When we enter the water in Bali or anywhere else in the world we have to be careful guardians of our environment.

Pemuteran is the small area where most boats leave to get to Menjangan Island for excellent snorkeling or diving. Menjangan Island is part of the West Bali National Park and is a protected but fragile environment.

Hotels in the area range from luxury villas to small losmen.

There are many dive shops in the area that can arrange for your trip there, which can include equipment, transport, Park entry permits and fees and possibly a packed lunch and water. All the hotels also have dive shops either right on their premises or next door and you will be grouped with other people in the boat.

If you want a private boat, you can arrange to have one of the guides meet you at the harbor at Labuan Lalang, a short distance to the west from the groups of hotels. Your price will be mostly for the boat rental, permits and petrol and guide and boat driver. If you have more than 2 people in your group the price is very competitive or even less than renting through a dive shop. There is a small local warung nasi (food stall) at the harbor that sells food and cold drinks or you can pack a lunch from your hotel.

There is also good snorkeling right off the beach in front of Taman Sari and Pondok Sari Hotels. The "safe entrance" is marked by signs. The reason this entrance is preferred is that you will not be disturbing coral as you go out to the deeper water for snorkeling, so please take note of the signs. Walking on or touching coral may kill or damage the live corals.

Environment and Code of Conduct

Friends of Menjangan http://friendsofmenjangan.blogspot.com/

is a locally run organization to help support and protect the environment in Menjangan Island. In addition to educating local children about the environment, they organize cleanups and also recycle plastic, styrofoam and other waste that pollutes the area and create items for sale. Also, if you see trash floating in the water please consider picking it out and giving it to the boat captain so he can dispose of it properly.

Here is the Friends of Menjangan code of conduct for visitors to the Park:

1. Please do not throw trash, or any waste or pollute in any way.

2. No touching or walking on the reef.

3. Help us by not destroying or taking any living or dead organism, including any shells or corals.

4.No feeding of fish.

5. Please remind the boat driver not to use an anchor for the boat.

but to use mooring or live boat only.

6.Make sure your diving equipment is securely attached to your body.

7. Please respect the rules and code of conduct where ever and whenever you go into the water.

If you want to contact Nono of Friends of Menjangan you may PM me for his email. His mail was recently hacked so we can't risk publishing it online!

coffs harbour...
Level Contributor
5,691 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkelling in bali

jan j - re the need for a weight belt. Most people think that snorkelling only involves laying on top of the water and looking down. This is not really the case, but is the way most untrained people do it. A trained snorkeller will know how to duck dive and swim down underwater to properly see and experience the underwater world. If you are wearing a wetsuit, or any neoprene items, you'll need more weight. As an example, I am quite bouyant, and in a lycra suit will use around 5kg of lead on my weighbelt to assist me diving down. With a 5mm neoprene wetsuit, I'll increase that to at least 12kg.

Another thing - and an extension of ubudpuppy's post, is that snorkellers should be able to clear their snorkels without having to put their feet to the bottom to avoid damaging the environment. If you are not able to do that, consider some training to assist you.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 05:01
Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkelling in bali

Excellent info as well Carol and Pup. Thanks :)

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: snorkelling in bali

lots of good info. thanks for adding to the info guys and gals

ubud as a DE you can start a separate post on pemuteran and add the URL to the question in the right pane. I adding one on candidasa and pemuteran now.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: snorkelling in bali

sorry not pemuteran but padangbai