We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

**Best Beaches in Bali**

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
**Best Beaches in Bali**

Hi

There's mixed reviews everywhere on the beach 'front' so you're advice would be much appreciated...

We've decided to spend our 1st 4 nights in Ubud where we'll carry out all our activites/sightseeing etc and stay in a lovely villa*. For the rest of our stay (3/4 nights) we'd like to simply relax/lounge out by the beach and soak up the sun!

For this we obviously require the BEST BEACH in Bali! I know not to expect anything like the Maldives or the Caribbean!

Our criteria is quite simple; a beautiful sandy, blue water beach with sunbeds to lounge in. No rubbish, no black sands, no surf waves!

Note: Not too far a walk from hotels and getting to do snorkelling would be great!

We loved the beaches we previously visited and would like something of the same calibre (that's not asking much lol);

Tunisia - Yasmine Hammamet

Egypt - Sharm El Sheikh

Turkey - Marmaris

From what I've read we can cross off Kuta & Legian X

From Nusa Dua and Sanur I think most visitors prefer Sanur? What many fail to state is "WHY"?

What about Seminyak?

Is it worth travelling East to Padang Bay or Candi Dasa?

Regards, Raul

*Pending villa booking

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,936 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: **Best Beaches in Bali**

Hi

In regards to Sanur vs Nusa Dua; Sanur has a lovely village atmosphere and accommodation is amongst local village life so you can easily stroll to shops, restaurants, bars, spas. There is a great beach path so you can ride a pushbike and there is also water sports. A few people snorkel here but it is not renown for snorkelling nor is Nusa Dua.

Nusa Dua is a purpose built tourist 'enclave' home to many 5* resorts with prices to match. This area is away from the locals and you can't stroll to restaurants, shops and the like. The grounds are well manicured and the local atmosphere starts outside of this gated community. The beach is similar at both areas, i.e. no surfing waves breaking on shore however you can surf the reef break (which protects the shoreline).

There is a vast choice of beach front properties at both Sanur and Nusa Dua. IF you choose Nusa Dua then you need to be happy to get a local taxi OR free transfer from local restaurants which are located a few minutes from the resorts otherwise eat at the resort. The other option is Bali Collection which is a purpose built shopping / restaurant complex that has a scheduled free shuttle service to / from resorts. The Grand Hyatt is walking distance.

Amed is one of the most popular areas for snorkelling (and diving). It is much quieter at Amed and very little in the way of shopping with a few smaller restaurants. Candi Dasa is another smaller beach town and popular with those wishing for a quieter stay. Sanur is a good choice and may be what you are looking for unless you want something smaller and much quieter. The atmosphere at Sanur is relaxed and the beach front is a great place to relax with plenty of eating options right on the sand.

As for Seminyak it is an 'extension' of Legian and shares the same surfing beach which you say you don't want.

Edited: 21 April 2014, 23:36
London
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: **Best Beaches in Bali**

It's worth bearing in mind that the beaches to the east and north at Candidasa, Amed, Lovina are black, volcanic sand rather than the stereotypical tropical beach, so obviously you're not going to get that turquoise water look, but the marine life more than makes up for it in my opinion.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: **Best Beaches in Bali**

Thanks

With Ubud I'm guaranteed a 'village' atmosphere, hence I don't mind some seclusion on the 2nd part of our holiday - beach resort... I think I'll be looking for HB so won't really need to dine out as much...

In terms of hotel price - Sanur will be cheaper right, yet I'll get the same beach standards?

Note: It's our honeymoon if that makes any difference...

P.S. Forgot to ask about Jimbaran?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: **Best Beaches in Bali**

*hence I don't mind a more vibrant atmosphere in the hotel/resort.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,936 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: **Best Beaches in Bali**

Just to clarify ::

the beaches are not all black sand in Amed, Candi Dasa, We had nice white sand beaches at some of the places we have stayed at Amed, other beaches there were rock. have white sand beaches. Some beaches at Amed do have rocks rather than sand.

Here are Amed beach images

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Amed+beach&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=RjFWU5aaOIG2kgXr4oC4Cw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1275&bih=664

Here are images for Candi Dasa

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=candidasa+beaches&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ezFWU_a_Js_LkAXl9IHQBg&ved=0CEEQsAQ&biw=1275&bih=664

As for half board this is not recommended. Just get your room with breakfast, otherwise you are limiting yourself to hotel food, there are some fantastic restaurants in Bali and a fraction of the price of the larger resorts who are the main places offering 'all inclusive' type of accommodation. Not many hotels offer half board or all inclusive, bed and breakfast is the most popular choice.

Sanur would suit you unless you want to spend a lot of time in your hotel / resort, if so look at nusa dua. Sanur has the beach you want and atmosphere.

London
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: **Best Beaches in Bali**

Wow, that first picture on the fourth row of the Amed set looks exactly like a photo I took on the Gili Islands. I had to double check the credit. :-)

Snooky, which places did you stay at in Amed that had white beaches? Were they adjacent to your accommodation? Sounds enticing.

Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
138 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: **Best Beaches in Bali**

I pondered about Sanur vs Nusa Dua. I have chosen Sanur by the way because as what was mentioned there are more local eateries and stuff nearby. And the beach looks beautiful enough!! 38 days to go. ...

However if it's the beach you just looking at I recently saw a post on someones blog and nusa dua geiger beach I think, looks beautiful. Haven't seen one of sanur that is as nice.

Maybe you should do some research yourself. See blogs on sanur and nusa dua. There you can see real pictures of the beach and the blogger's comment.

Norway
Level Contributor
24 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: **Best Beaches in Bali**

Is Sanur a niceplace to visit in January/February too? Thinking of going next year, but not quite sure....have read a lot about the rubbish in wetseason, but it seems like Sanur beach is good?

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,936 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: **Best Beaches in Bali**

Mostly white sand at Lipah, Lean, Selang bays, these are mostly the whiter sand beaches in this area but the tidal shifts can bring in a mostly white with some darker sand in the mix. Most other beaches are a mix of different sized rocks, there is volcanic sand from the 1963 volcanic eruption in this area. Even the beach on Legian and Seminyak etc has darker sand in the mix, no beach in Bali is white like Maldives and the like. Then there is white sand beach on the same stretch of coast

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g608484…

For an example of true black sand beach look at the beach at Keramas % Ketewel. Fully black sand. The sand here glimmers with black sand and is extremely hot to walk on compared to other beaches.

baliwaves.com/wp-content/gallery/press-20090…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,044 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: **Best Beaches in Bali**

Why don't you have a look at Novotel in South Lombok, it is right on a beautiful white sand beach, clear blue water. 30 minute plane ride, and Novotel is 20 mins from the airport.