We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali or Cambodia late November/December

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Bali or Cambodia late November/December

Just wondering about everyone's views.

We were due to be in Bali as I write this, but unfortunately had to canx as my Dad passed away in the UK so returned last month for the funeral, so we couldn't afford Bali too.

We had a fab hol in Bali last April so have been before and loved it. We are hoping that if we can afford it to go away after the girls exams, so from the 20th November for 2 weeks, but my concern is the weather in Bali. It would be awful if it rained most days, so hence I was looking at Cambodia as it seems to be there dry time there. We have never been, sounds cheap whilst there although the flying time is long from NZ.

Do you think it's worth risking Bali or is Cambodia is a better option?

Many thanks in advance!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali or Cambodia late November/December

We came back from Cambodia a month ago. It was our first trip there and sad to say we won't be back as it just wasn't "us"

I have also just booked my 11th holiday in Bali for October this year. Yes, I love Bali.

It was basically the dry time in Cambodia when we were there but it was just SO HOT and dirty I couldn't stand it. Far to hot to enjoy going anywhere. If it rained , my opinion would be that all the dust and dirt would turn to mud. Give me Bali any day.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali or Cambodia late November/December

Went to Cambodia and Laos last Christmas and loved it . No mud :)

Last 2 Decembers I have spent in Bali were just toooooo wet for my liking.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali or Cambodia late November/December

Many thanks the two of you for replying. Some difficult decisions to be made!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali or Cambodia late November/December

We also went to Cambodia last year and absolutely loved it. We started planning our return trip straight away. The temples etc are amazing but it really is the people that make the place very special. I'd say go for it. Last year we were in Bali from the 23rd November to the 7th December and the only heavy rain was one night on Nusa Lembongan and a light shower in Ubud. Obviously this can change from year to year. I love both places and think that either is a good choice.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,020 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali or Cambodia late November/December

Hi Mel. I'm going to make your decision even harder. Have a look at southern Vietnam for decent weather at that time of year. Last year at that time I went to Phu Quoc, great weather, cheap cost of living, nice beaches etc. You can even get the ferry to Cambodia from there, the two are only 12km apart.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali or Cambodia late November/December

I don't think the monsoon in Bali is that bad - yes you get tropical downpours that can last a few hours, but you rarely get a full day of rain. I was going to say that Bali get very hot in November but we're comparing it to Cambodia, so it's probably cooler in comparison!

I also loved Vietnam (haven't been to Cambodia yet), although it was quite different to Bali. I'd guess that the same applies to Cambodia - Bali is very much gauged to tourists and is pretty small town, Vietnam was more of an immersion experience and much more 'real' if you know what I mean. I'd go to Bali for downtime and relaxation and Vietnam or Cambodia for an 'experience' holiday.

Sorry to hear about your Dad BTW.

Bunbury, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali or Cambodia late November/December

We've visited Cambodia in December and the weather is perfect there at that time of year. We loved Cambodia and my advice would be to travel overland if possible rather than jetting into Siem Reap or Pnnom Penh.

Think about travelling by road between the two, and stop over for a few days at Battambang and if you can travel further afield all the better. There are very few people in the Cambodian countryside so it is very slow paced and should be experienced.

Bali can have its hot and wet days at any time of the year so we never much worry about the time of the year we visit. It's always great.

Hope this helps.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,956 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bali or Cambodia late November/December

If it is the weather you are looking for then at that time Cambodia would have much better weather.

As already mentioned the southern part of Vietnam would be OK.

Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bali or Cambodia late November/December

I went to Cambodia in October and the weather was fantastic! I loved this country and would return in a blink! But I also love Bali and generally in November you don't really get a lot of rain, maybe just a shower or two. I guess if you've been to Bali it's always nice to try somewhere new. You'll just have to weigh up the extra travel time to Cambodia compared to Bali.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,712 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bali or Cambodia late November/December

MMiles: Just to clarify, what do you mean with : "Bali is very much gauged to tourists and is pretty small town.."

631Mel: Since you have already been to Bali, you are past due to experience Cambodia..a wonderful country with great temples and good tasty food, lovely kind people. Nov Dec is the hotter rainy-er season in Bali and the opposite in Cambodia. Bali indeed is closer and easier to get to so you can come here anytiime...splurge and do Cambodia while you can...