We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad feelings abut Bali - leave it off your bucket list

CT
Level Contributor
206 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Bad feelings abut Bali - leave it off your bucket list

There will be many people who disagree with me, so please know I am not looking for comments. After leaving Candi Beaches (great place) and traveling to Sanur, we were stopped by two separate police groups looking for money. Yuck - Bali may consider this business as usual, but say goodbye to this traveler. I do not value this kind of experience at all. And yes, worse part was we were expecting it.

Perth
Level Contributor
824 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad feelings abut Bali - leave it off your bucket list

Sorry you had a bad experience in Bali. I have seen the police stop many people in Bali but if your not doing anything wrong don't pay. Did you enjoy the rest of your stay in Bali? There are so many beautiful places to see and people to meet don't let this ruin it. Why post if you don't want comments??

South Australian...
Level Contributor
742 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad feelings abut Bali - leave it off your bucket list

how were you travelling? Did you by chance have an illegal driver? I I've spent many months in Bali and never been stopped ever, but I never use an illegal driver ....

Kincumber, Australia
Level Contributor
739 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad feelings abut Bali - leave it off your bucket list

I agree with destiny92, this type of post will always attract comments. It really would be a shame to let this experience stop you from returning. I imagine each and every one of us has has some type of situation we were less than happy with in the past, but this has not prevented us from returning. I personally contracted severe Bali Belly on my very first trip, but vowed to return and by the end of this year will have visited 3 times. I experienced the same type of situation in Thailand with the local police and despite not being impressed, just accepted that this is the way. Bali is very beautiful, with so much to offer, if you never return, you will be doing yourself a disservice.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad feelings abut Bali - leave it off your bucket list

I agree it is a real shame to write off a place over one incident (or even two). Whenever you travel you are at risk of having an experience you don't enjoy or agree with. It's the nature of the beast.

I have been robbed while travelling and have had a few other incidents but would not let the actions of one person stop me revisiting the same city or country again.

I'm sure you met lots of lovely Balinese on your trip as well?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad feelings abut Bali - leave it off your bucket list

Hi,

My first instinct would be to say if you post on a public forum be prepared for comments, that's the point of the whole thing.

As for your unfortunate experience, I usually take it as part of the Bali experience, an unpleasant one but mostly unavoidable. I was stopped my first 2 trips in 2006 and then nothing until last October.

It was always courteous, I smiled a lot and had all paperwork for my car, my IDL etc... even got sightseeing tips in Kintamani from the Police officer.

Last October it was a mass police outing stopping mostly motorbikes and just a few cars on Jl Bypass in Sanur. One of the officers pointed at my car when I drove by and one of his colleagues strategically placed a 100 m down the road signaled me to stop.

He tried to tell me the car papers were not legal and it was a problem. I kept smiling and told him I was surprised as it was my 10th rental with Pak Komang and I always got the laminated version of the registration documents and never got any questions at their legality before.

He got tired when he saw I was less than impressed with his claim and he let me go looking visibly annoyed, my next move would have been to call Pak Komang but only as a last resort as it was a Sunday afternoon.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad feelings abut Bali - leave it off your bucket list

That is Bali , its not because your a tourist this happened it happens to locals as well.

Edited: 24 April 2014, 21:45
Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,521 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad feelings abut Bali - leave it off your bucket list

Goodness me! A holiday in Bali and this is the only post that travellerroct makes about the time spent here. A routine police check anywhere in the world would not be the highlight of my holiday.

Here is my version of the same holiday. We went on a holiday to Bali, we got a real good deal with a driver even though he was NOT registered as a tourist guide. Our driver did not have the correct registration on his licence plate so we got pulled over by the police. The police were doing an honest job looking out for unlicensed tour guides and stolen cars.

On my next holiday I will make sure I get a licenced tour guide to take me around the place.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,541 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad feelings abut Bali - leave it off your bucket list

Why do you post here if you are not looking for comments? I don't understand the point if your post then, sorry.

Cheers

Kalgoorlie-Boulder...
Level Contributor
436 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bad feelings abut Bali - leave it off your bucket list

Things happen wherever you go.

I had a knife I bought in Bali found by an X-ray machine in Singapore last year.

So at 2 am in the morning we were in a Singapore office with about 5 armed police officers while we were grilled and made to sign documents, before they let us go whilst our driver was waiting for over an hour.

These things happen! Hasn't turned me off Singapore, it was just a mistake and an unpleasant experience.

All you can do is learn, be wary, and show respect wherever you go.

Good luck

Paul

Edited: 25 April 2014, 00:55
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bad feelings abut Bali - leave it off your bucket list

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences.

Have to agree with the others that if you post something like this on TA on the Bali forum, then you should expect comments. Also agree that your experiences shouldn't stop you from returning.

Not sure whereabouts you were in Sanur but my husband and I spent a week and we weren't hassled by the police at all.