We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bag snatchers - Jl Seminyak

London, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bag snatchers - Jl Seminyak

This evening I was walking north on Jl Seminyak (on the foot path), when someone on a scooter hit me from behind. I fell over, and another guy tried to grab my handbag off me.

For whatever reason - instinct maybe - I held on to the bag as if my life depended on it! In hindsight, a very bad decision, I know that. But I wasn't thinking and everything happened so fast! A New Zealand guy came rushing out of a shop to see if I was ok, and this made the scooter driver and his friend take off!!

The strange thing is it was by no means late. It was about 7.30pm and Jl Seminyak was pretty busy. Makes me think that these guys saw an opportunity and went for it, rather having planned it.

Anyway, nothing happened. I got away with just a few scrapes and bruises and a little bit of a fright. I just thought I'd tell you all

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,623 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bag snatchers - Jl Seminyak

You are one very lucky lady to survive this intact! I am sorry this occurred and hope when you wake in the morning, there are not too many bruises or scratches! Thank goodness a fellow tourist came to your aid!

It is a most unsettling and frightening experience!

Hope you are going to be alright!

Perth
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bag snatchers - Jl Seminyak

Oh no I hope you are ok. You'll probably have people come on here and tell you how they do this or that to prevent an occurrence like this but at the end of the day these guys are creeps who are giving Bali a bad name. You should be able to walk safely down a road like that on your own with no issue but sadly it is becoming more common.

Once again I hope you are not too shaken up and manage to enjoy the rest of your trip.

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,623 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bag snatchers - Jl Seminyak

I agree, Hunter!

Having had my purse deftly lifted out of my handbag which was over my shoulder in a department store, by a well dressed lady brushing past me, I am not about to offer any do's/dont's!! Can happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime!!!

The lowlifes who commit these crimes care not one iota about the victim!

London, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bag snatchers - Jl Seminyak

Thanks guys. A little achy today, but I'm in Bali so it's all good :-)

I don't think I could have done anything to prevent it, and I'm not going to let that ruin my holiday.

Kalgoorlie-Boulder...
Level Contributor
237 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bag snatchers - Jl Seminyak

Good on you Millessa, take care and have a massage to help your body recover.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
520 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bag snatchers - Jl Seminyak

Ditto a massage or two will help all the aches go away. Thank goodness you were ok and they got nothing rotten indiviuals

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bag snatchers - Jl Seminyak

You are very lucky you weren't seriously hurt. As per the article in the link below, an Aussie was killed in Argentina yesterday in very similar circumstances. Such a shame because most of the people in Bali, Argentina, Thailand etc are lovely but a few scum bags ruin it for everyone. Take care.

smh.com.au/world/australian-tourist-shot-dea…

Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bag snatchers - Jl Seminyak

I am glad that you have survived this attack relatively unscathed and hope you can enjoy the remainder of your holiday.

Unfortunately these attacks are becoming increasingly frequent and I would encourage you to report this incident to the police. Without facts and figures nothing will change. There is a movement in Ubud, supported by the local police, banjars and residents, which is addressing this distressing trend of attacks on lone women.

Have a look at the fb page Safe Bali for more information.

London, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bag snatchers - Jl Seminyak

I hadn't thought of reporting it to the police as they didn't steal anything and I'm not badly hurt, but maybe it's a good idea to report it anyway.

Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bag snatchers - Jl Seminyak

Yes, it's a good idea to report it - as much for the bigger picture of what is happening in Bali as for your particular incident. Take a friend with you for support.