We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HNR - Arrival day 1

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
HNR - Arrival day 1

Apologies if this is a little long and boring - I know how much I love reading these so wanted to post them while i'm away, but now i've written it I wonder if it's kind of boring - oh well lol.

Departed Sydney at 0900 with Garuda in Business class. Certainly a great experience – they seemed to bring an endless supply of food throughout the flight, before finally dimming the lights 2 hours before landing in Bali. Only down side was that I had notified Garuda that I was allergic to seafood (just in case). For some reason, that meant that they had arranged a completely special menu for me (although the appetizer was seafood and nobody seemed to notice that). The chicken I had for the main meal was lovely, however when desert came out, I was really looking forward to the lemon meringue pie that was on the menu. Unfortunately she came to me with a fruit platter. I suggested that perhaps there wasn't any seafood in the lemon meringue and got that instead.

Arrived on time, and despite pulling up at an air bridge, stairs were pushed up to the plane, and we had to bus it the 150 meters or so to the terminal. I don’t quite understand why that happened… we were just millimeters from the air bridge! Anyway, after the short bus ride it was into the terminal. No real directions on where to go, so I had to figure it out myself. Given I had already done my visa/immigration on the plane, I was able to skip that step, and headed straight for the baggage claim area. My bag was one of the first out, then it was through customs and out to find my hotel pickup. From entering to exiting the terminal was no more than 10 minutes. I did see that the VOA counter was empty, but the immigration line was quite long, plus a jetstar plane landed just after ours, so it'd be likely to have gotten worse. I have to also say that the arrivals area of the new terminal seems massive by comparison, however there seems to be an awful lot of vacant wasted space. Also, there is now duty free before you exit the airport, however I didn't look if they sell alcohol.

Arrived at my hotel, the Bali Mandira in Legian. Check in was quick and painless then up to the room. Beautiful room (9305) with a 4 poster bed draped in white tuel (sorry that’s probly spelt wrong), with views out over the resort to the ocean. It’d been a pretty long day (left home at 0345hrs), so I was glad to just relax in the air conditioning for a while.

Waited til 5pm and headed over the club lounge for cocktail hour. It was certainly busy, but the drinks were excellent and so was the food that they put on. I decided to have a swim before dinner so headed up to the adults only pool – the water was amazing and certainly what I needed.

After that it was time for dinner, so I decided to head down Jl Padma to see what I could find. Finally decided on the Legian Pub. Everywhere was very quiet and they were happy to see me. I had a pizza which was quite nice, although a little much for one person.

Back to the hotel for a very early night as I was quite tired… fell asleep almost straight away.

Day 2 coming soon!

gold coast
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HNR - Arrival day 1

Not too long or boring just right! Sounds like a great start to your holiday, cant wait to hear more as i am living vicariously thru the bali forums as we go thru a cold snap! Enjoy your pretty tulle bedroom....sounds gorgeous.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,581 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HNR - Arrival day 1

Thanks for posting - not boring at all. Love reading HNRs and JBRs. Will keep me going until our next trip in 5 sleeps

Mount Martha...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HNR - Arrival day 1

I, like most people love the reviews, keep them coming, I await with anticipation

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HNR - Arrival day 1

Thanks for your report ... keep them coming.

Cheers Caro

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
440 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HNR - Arrival day 1

Can't wait for Day 2!! loved it.. Tooty

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
440 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HNR - Arrival day 1

Great report, thanks for posting - looking forward to the updates

Level Contributor
393 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HNR - Arrival day 1

Thanks so much for sharing , RicciBerrie, you must have been exhausted at the end of your first day. Your HNR is not too long and was an enjoyable read especially as I have to wait until September to see the new terminal first hand. It sounds as though you've had a fantastic start to your holiday. Look forward to reading more, have a great time and thanks again :)

Edited: 04 May 2014, 11:46
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
677 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HNR - Arrival day 1

So jealous of you right now RicciBerrie. Freezing here in Newcastle today. Want to swap places ;)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HNR - Arrival day 1

thanks Ricci, just brilliant and not boring at all. I too believe there is no seafood in lemon meringue pie. Funny. Glad you enjoyed it. Yummo.

Good day and a good read.

Thanks again

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
583 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HNR - Arrival day 1

Thank you!! Loved reading!! :)