We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Bali to Gilis to Lombok: How to?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
From Bali to Gilis to Lombok: How to?

Hello,

I suspect this is a calssic question. I looked enough in the past threads that I probably don't want to take the boat from Bali to Gilis. I read a lot about the rough sea. And we had a similar (Bad) experience in brazil. So I guess I need to fly from Bali to Lombok and then take a boat? I guess the sea journey is faster?

Could anyone provide me some general recommendations how to do that: which Airline sites for the flights, where do I land in Lombok, how to get from there to Gili etc

Thanks!

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,453 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Bali to Gilis to Lombok: How to?

Hi Sparta. The sea journey is perhaps more convenient in that it's a point to point journey effectively, but it depends on which boat operator you choose, the time of year and thus weather conditions, and what sort of sailor you are.

The plane journey itself is shorter, but then you have to factor in getting to the airport, check in, waiting time, the flight, getting baggage, drive to the harbours, boat to Gilis.

If you're looking for an easy life, get a flight from Bali, then either arrange for your hotel in the Gilis to organise a pick up and speedboat, or organise it yourself with a dive operator such as Dream Divers. From Lombok International it's about a 2 hour drive to the harbours, then 10-15 mins speed boat to the Gilis. Expect to get wet.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Bali to Gilis to Lombok: How to?

Thanks. I will be doing this journey somewhere between the first and second week of September. I definitely think I will go by plane, especially that I need to get back to Bali for the flight home.

could someone point me to the info regarding the different companies that fly this route? I heard that there is one company more reliable than the other, that has been involved in some recent incident?

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Bali to Gilis to Lombok: How to?

Garuda fly a large jet twice a day, they were on time and it's a 25 minute flight.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,453 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Bali to Gilis to Lombok: How to?

Lion, Merpati and Garuda are the airlines. Merpati and Garuda tend to fly later in the day, probably too late to get to the Gilis unless you do an overnight stay in Lombok. Lion Air was involved in a crash last year in Bali when the plane crashed into the sea. There were no fatalities although 22 passengers were injured. The pilot could not apparently see the runway; that long strip of concrete with the bright lights.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Bali to Gilis to Lombok: How to?

is there any site (or sites) that I can use for booking the flight?

I'm in the process of booking hotels (some done) and wondering if I am not getting ahead of myself and not risking not to find a flight (between Bali and Lombok) for my specific dates...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Bali to Gilis to Lombok: How to?

There's a lot of flights daily from Bali to Lombok however Garuda fly a large jet each day which was full when we flew to Lombok in April this year and previously in January 2013. Maybe Pre book if you like jets rather than prop planes?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Bali to Gilis to Lombok: How to?

Is there a site that lists all flights and all companies? international sites list only Garuda. OR official booking websites for Merpati and Lion Air. I googles LionAir and Merpati and got to iffy websites, some that don't seem to work.

As of Garuda, I found acceptable options. One of them is a departure at 9:40AM from Demphasar. I will be around Ubud (Black Penny Ubud). the next flight is at 15:50 that gets me to Lombok at 16:30 (if no delay). I guess it's too late to travel by road and ferry then? Alternatively there is a flight with WingsAir (???) at 10:50. I found them when I was looking at Lion Air.

I think I might go with Garuda if 9:40 is not too early. At what time should I leave the hotel?

Thanks

fairhaven
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Bali to Gilis to Lombok: How to?

We recently flew from Denpasar to Lombok.with Lion. The flight was only about $40, and took about half an hour. It was fine, no problems. It was more enjoyable than the boat ride. I did say a hail mary at the end. Ha ha

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Bali to Gilis to Lombok: How to?

Thx. I actually didn't even see a Lion Air flight, but a Wing Air. So I'm not even sure what are the Lion Air and the Merpati official sites.

As for Garuda: is the flight that lands at 16:30 in Lombok (if no delay) too late to get me to Gili T? I certainly don't want to spend one night in route. When is the latest ferry/boat ? to Gili T?

Thanks

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
584 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Bali to Gilis to Lombok: How to?

We are in the same situation later this month. We have booked Garuda to land 16:30 in Lombok. From there we have arranged a pick up and transfer to Teluk Nara where a boat will be waiting for us. Even if it's after 18:00. The price is around 1.000.000 for 2 people for everything. Here is the contact info for our transfer, myjourney004@gmail.com.

http://www.gilibookings.com/travel-tips