We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying IDR in Australia or Bali?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Buying IDR in Australia or Bali?

I like to have my IDR with me before I travel to Bali to save using ATMs & possibly being ripped off at exchangers, so in the past I've got $1500AUD exchanged at Melbourne Airport before I departed for DPS. But I have been reading posts in the forum that say to exchange once in Bali due to better IDR rates - is this true? And where could I safely withdraw $3000AUD (for me & my partner) and exchange once we land? We get in around 8pm and are staying in Nusa Dua. Thanks.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying IDR in Australia or Bali?

I only take AUD cash. I put it in the safe as soon as I get to my hotel and take some out each day or few days.

I also change $50.00 at Denpasar airport just to see me through the first evening.

Don't change it in Australia, you do not get a good rate.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying IDR in Australia or Bali?

Hi! If you have read all the posts about it being better to change money when you get to Bali then: GUESS WHAT! they are all giving you the right advise.

Take your spending money (Aussie $'s) with you from Australia'

Change a few $'s If you want before you leave, I would suggest no more than $100 Aus.

You can change some at the Bali airport when you arrive. But most of the seasoned travellers wait until they are in the area where they are staying.

I'm sure someone can post a safe money changer in the Nusa Dua area.

Good luck

Edited: 28 May 2014, 08:20
Perth
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying IDR in Australia or Bali?

Kate I know it seems like a pain but changing money in smaller amounts will be a lot easier and you will not be ripped off if you go to recommended money changers!

As long as you go somewhere where they give a receipt you will usually be fine although it still pays to check! If you run the gauntlet of changing at a money changer in a market stall you will be ripped off! I see you are staying at nusa dua and seminyak! Just near sun island villas is vibrant supermarket! Across the road is an official money changer (with really good air con)! I would use this one and one at Bali collection in nusa dua!

If you change the lot in melb you will be costing yourself over $300!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying IDR in Australia or Bali?

i just came back from Bali after 3 weeks there, the exchange rate is a lot better in Bali. Before i left i exchanged $50 to get me through the first day and the rate was around 8500. When i exchanged in bali i was getting 10400. That was exchanging at a bank. With ATM's i only used the ATM if it was inside a bank. I did not use the ones on the streets or in shops after reading about scamming stories but i felt safe using the ATMs inside a bank. Not sure about Nusa Dua but Kuta had a fair few banks i could use.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,935 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying IDR in Australia or Bali?

Don't exchange ANY money before you leave Australia not even $100. Get $50 or $100 exchanged when you arrive at the bali airport. The rate in bali is MUCH better than here in oz.

There is no need to exchange $3000 at one time in Bali. Keep your AUD in the safe and only exchange enough for a few days at a time. The last thing you want is to be stuck with too much Rupiah which you will then have to exchange back to aussie dollars and hence lose again. The exchange rate in Bali fluctuates daily so keep an eye on the rates. Only take $50's and $100's to exchange as they attract the higher exchange rates.

You won't get ripped off in bali if you use common sense and stay away from all the dodgy money changers i.e. those with a small desk tucked away in the back of a local market stall or down a lane way. The signs out the front claiming higher than normal rates are the worst places to exchange. Stick with proper money changers who look a bit like a small 'bank'. They often have security guard(s) at the door. Larger shopping centres also have reliable money changers. Look at this link and see what a 'proper' money changer looks like.

http://www.balibestrate.com

Also read through our 'Top Questions' on the right hand side of this page about exchanging money.

You may also be interested in looking at these two cards which are excellent for travelling 28 degree credit card and citibank plus visa debit card.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying IDR in Australia or Bali?

I agree with all, except I choose to change a small amount here in Aust, as when I arrive at night after a flight I want to clear immigration, customs and the airport and get a ride to my hotel.as quickly as possible, so that I can shower, grab something to eat, and then settle in, unpack and hit the sack........not even stopping to change money.

I want enough for taxi, food and a coupla drinks when I arrive, then I'll worry about changing money the following day when I'm fresh and awake.

I would generally change $300 AUD, and my wife would also change $300 AUD just after me (only at the authorised and professional money changers).

Money will be counted out in a bill counting machine, than again as it's laid out on the counter in front of you, I would then count it again. You will sign a receipt, and I never encountered an issue.

With $600 AUD changed my wife would carry half, I would carry half.

I kept $500,000-1,000,000 rupiah in my wallet, the other $2M rupiah tucked away and hidden out of sight, or in a bum bag around my waist.

This way if anything were to happen, we had our daily money stashed in 4 different places, and we would only lose a relatively small amount of our cash, and we had enough on hand to last anything up to 4 days before changing more.

When in the markets or shopping, only keep up to about $500,000 rupiah maximum on display in your wallet when you open it, and have a mixture of smaller denominations included.....when bartering I would often allow the store owner to see the contents then as I check my money in front of them prior to offering my own price on goods, stating I needed money for lunch and a taxi back to my hotel, so the price would have to come down if they wanted a sale.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 09:34
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,049 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying IDR in Australia or Bali?

Ummm Tony,

$600 each time you go to Bali, at a margin of anywhere between 5-7% difference (official here in Australia just simply means retail, nothing more), you are bleeding cash. That's a lot of money to be throwing away for the sake of maybe five minutes convenience. And that's EACH trip. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 09:40
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying IDR in Australia or Bali?

"Ummm Tony,

$600 each time you go to Bali"

No, that's not what I said. This is in fact what I said:

"I want enough for taxi, food and a coupla drinks when I arrive, then I'll worry about changing money the following day when I'm fresh and awake."

I will change a "small" amount in Australia.....no more than $50 or $100 AUD,just so I'll have some local currency on me to seeme through the evening when I arrive.

Then, when in Bali, the next day, and each time I hit the money changer, myself and the wife would change $600 AUD....enough to last us up to 4 days, before returning again to the money changer.to change another $600 AUD.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 11:00
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying IDR in Australia or Bali?

Changing money at the airport is so quick and easy - I wouldn't bother changing any before you arrive.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,049 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying IDR in Australia or Bali?

Sorry Tony, totally misread your second paragraph.