We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to keep our money safe

adelaide
Level Contributor
684 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How to keep our money safe

Hey everyone, I'm just wondering how to keep your money safe in Bali. We are taking all our cash in hand to exchange for the best rate. Is it safe to leave that much cash just sitting in our room safe?

I've checked out our hotels reviews on trip advisor and no mention of it but then I've heard of people on here returning to their hotels and claiming that money and items are missing from their room safes.

Do you think I'm being too paranoid and it will be all ok? Also are iPads likely to fit in the safes or are we better to padlock them in our suitcases?

Thanks for any suggestion :-)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
669 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to keep our money safe

I always take cash and leave them in the room safe and never had an issue.

We always keep our money, passports, jewellery, phones, iPods in the safe but not sure if an iPad will fit.

Just lock it away in your suitcase when you are not using it and store your suitcase , ie don't leave things lying around.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,568 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to keep our money safe

Hi JamieLee

There is another recent thread running with the same subject. You may like to have a look at that one:http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k7502062-Valuables-Bali.html

I hope it helps you.

Cheers

adelaide
Level Contributor
684 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to keep our money safe

Thank you both for your replies :-)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to keep our money safe

Some Resorts also have main Safety Deposit boxes at Reception where you both a key to open. We left the majority of our money & passports there & a couple of days worth in our room safe but we have never had any probs with security with room safes.

Cheers Mac

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,533 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to keep our money safe

Are you being paranoid - yes maybe a little. We always take cash and leave it in the hotel safe, never had a problem.

Maitland, Australia
Level Contributor
244 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to keep our money safe

Jamielee an ipad should fit in the safe . if you put your money in old dvd cases it is possible to sit them in the top internal lip of the room safe so when you open the room safe door it looks like it is empty ( the cases sit flush against the internal roof of the safe )

Melbourne, Victoria
Level Contributor
85 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to keep our money safe

My small notebook/ laptop fits in most room safes so an iPad will. Last time in bali we stuffed up our room safe code and only the resort manager could unlock with a special tool and code. Gotta trust someone or how else will you relax!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How to keep our money safe

I'm one of those who has .....put everything in room safe , then straight into holiday mode and couple of cocktail and oops forgot the pin I made up for safe... haha. This was couple of years ago and had to get resort manager to come and reset / open. I saw how master key was used and since then have always used safety deposit boxes at reception if resort has it. You get a key and they have a key.....need both keys to unlock and you also have the option to put your own padlock.

Another option stash cash ......in a pringles tube, in sanitary pads that are individually wrapped - unwrap 1 and re-wrap with cash, blue take an envelope to top of safe.....

We always leave I pads , phones .etc. in room on charge and that , but with cash am over top with where I put it ..... after all we all work very hard to save for a fantastic holiday ! Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How to keep our money safe

I'm one of those who has .....put everything in room safe , then straight into holiday mode and couple of cocktail and oops forgot the pin I made up for safe... haha. This was couple of years ago and had to get resort manager to come and reset / open. I saw how master key was used and since then have always used safety deposit boxes at reception if resort has it. You get a key and they have a key.....need both keys to unlock and you also have the option to put your own padlock.

Another option stash cash ......in a pringles tube, in sanitary pads that are individually wrapped - unwrap 1 and re-wrap with cash, blue take an envelope to top of safe.....

We always leave I pads , phones .etc. in room on charge and that , but with cash am over top with where I put it ..... after all we all work very hard to save for a fantastic holiday ! Cheers

PERTH
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to keep our money safe

Room safe otherwise Hotel Safes with two keys. Good luck and don't stress. Just keep at tab on your daily cash transactions