We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New airport

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,329 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
New airport

I'm wondering what others think of this new airport.

We arrived about 3 weeks ago and found it to be confusing. Having to walk through all the duty free shops to the exit was strange and we felt as though we were heading in the wrong direction. Couldn't find any indication of a taxi booth, like was available at the old airport, outside and the signage didn't seem clear Maybe I was just having a blonde moment.

Similarly when we entered the airport for our departure, there wasn't enough clear signage, departure gate numbers weren't available on check in so we had to hang around at the junction of corridors to all the gates (where there wasn't enough seating) to wait for the announcement. A number of people ended up sitting on the floor.

In comparison, we flew inn and out of Bali during our visit on a domestic route which was through the old airport. Everything was clearly marked, there was no confusion and everything went smoothly.

Give me back the old airport any day. It was much more efficient.

melbourne
Level Contributor
4,257 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New airport

I wonder if the old airport felt better to you because you were used to it? Maybe you're just not used to the differences in the new airport.

Can't help yet as I've still got 4 weeks until we're there. Can tell you then if its just as confusing to the newbies to Bali.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
228 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New airport

Haven't departed yet, but I found arrival so much smoother and easier in the new airport. 30 mins and we were out. Loved it.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,144 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New airport

No, it's not that we used to it..the new terminal at present, is not functioning well a lot of the time and the signage is abysmal. The lack of seating is terrible.

I agree, give me back the old one any day, if this is how the new terminal will remain.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New airport

Just a heads up for those that have already been through the new terminal last year and now think the taxi counter is to the left about 80m as it was when I went in October. It s now directly left as you come out the doors before you head through the "Dufry" shop (note nothing in here is actually duty free as it is outside the airport)

You will tell them at the counter where you are going. They will give you a ticket telling you how much to pay the driver and then you walk through the short maze of shops to meet your driver on the other side.

Maitland, Australia
Level Contributor
244 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New airport

completely opposite experience for us travelkat. since we fly with garuda from Sydney we walked straight through immigration to the baggage carousal which was the biggest delay waiting for our bags. walked straight outside the main doors went straight to the telkomsel stand and got sims for our phones. while I went through the dufry shop to the road to have a smoke my partner exchanged $100 at the money exchange desk to the left than organised a taxi at the taxi stand to the right of the dufry shop ( no fixed price sign when we were there and was also asked to pay the driver) .we were at our hotel in legian in under an hour.

on departure we got our gate number on check in walked straight through to our gate all the screens were working and the announcements being broadcast could be heard all over the airport. they seem to be building small food outlets at every gate also.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5,028 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New airport

We had no probs either way & I think that the more time goes by ,the better that it will all get.

Let us have faith!!!

Cheers Mac

PERTH
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New airport

Yes guys, give us back the old Airport . Although the new one will be great in about another year. Lets all hope it comes good. I think we all should just grin and bear it until it happens

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New airport

No rats in the new airport - new airport is airconditioned - i always use a porter when leaving and they always know where you have to go and you can sit anywhere you dont have to sit at your gate,

PERTH
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New airport

I have never sat at the gate I am leaving from yet in the new Airport, I move around and go far and wide and have plenty of seating . I can't fathom why people want to hang around their departure gates when it gets so crowded. Just move around and keep an eye on when your flight is about to board.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New airport

Hi Veg-Tony or anybody else that can help...How much do you pay a porter at the departure end and if I use one should I negotiate a price first? Thanks in advance :)