We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel insurance...questions / im bit stressed !

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
461 posts
1 review
Save Topic
travel insurance...questions / im bit stressed !

We flying out Sunday... I just jumped online to purchase travel insurance , yes im not as organized as some. BUT I don't leave home without having cover !

Anyway Iast few trips I have used Travel Insurance Direct and been happy with them. I just went ahead to purchase and they have a statement , if you purchase insurance after Sat (when volcano issues started ) they will not offer cover for this. So I called to clarify and said "what if there is more events / problems , like if it became active again when I'm there , will I be covered if grounded/need more accom " ANSWER = we suggest you look elsewhere we not offering cover relating to recent events.

So need to find another company , COVERMORE said no problem we will provide assistance. So that looking pretty good at this stage , not that much more cost wise & great to know I will be covered for such events !

Any other companies anyone can suggest , before I book .....THANKS heaps , CHEERS

gold coast
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel insurance...questions / im bit stressed !

1cover its underwritten by Allianz. Covermore is great they paid out quickly and promptly when i needed them. Am going with 1cover this time due to price and reviews. Eeekk will have to check my policy re volcano action. We dont leave for 55 days and counting tho. Good luck.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travel insurance...questions / im bit stressed !

I second 1 cover, have used medibank private also which can be a little more costly but are great! Recommend both

Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
153 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel insurance...questions / im bit stressed !

Go else where

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,188 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel insurance...questions / im bit stressed !

That's helpful Newtravellerkazza.

We always use 1cover. Last year was the first time I had to claim. It was only a small claim but it was paid out, less excess, in less than two weeks. Not sure what they'd be like in the case of a big claim.

Edited: 03 June 2014, 09:01
Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel insurance...questions / im bit stressed !

1cover are good, unfortunately we have had to claim several times. Biggest one was total of $7000 and we did not have to pay up front they approved my daughters operation and covered all expenses including a claim from me to change my flights to stay with her while she recovered.

Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel insurance...questions / im bit stressed !

I purchased Australia Post travel insurance thankfully the week before the volcano blew

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,393 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel insurance...questions / im bit stressed !

When comparing Australian insurance products, a really good starting point is the Canstar awards. They are the strongest reviewers of all financial products in Australia.

canstar.com.au/travel-insurance/…

I personally can recommend anything offered by Allianz, who for some travel products is underwritten by American Express

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: travel insurance...questions / im bit stressed !

thanks for all your replies ! Was going to go with covermore , they are still offering cover / even for the recent volcano activity and if it was to flare up again - which is good to know unlike some of the other companies. Just did an online quote with Southern Cross , and they very reasonable too ! Anyone used them ?? Thanks again

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,563 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel insurance...questions / im bit stressed !

yes Southern Cross are excellent and whilst I havent claimed from them, friends have and all was paid.

They cover up to $2000 in medical expenses once home....which is a rareity, it normally stops once home.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel insurance...questions / im bit stressed !

Covermore are great with claims.

http://www.comparetravelinsurance.com.au/