We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A serious blonde moment

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,632 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
A serious blonde moment

I really should have known better. I've travelled to enough places over the years and eaten all sorts of food all over the place. Of course my golden rule, particularly when travelling in SEA countries and beyond is to always eat cooked food.

Back in Bali after a wonderful trip in Java, I was tempted by an avocado salad, so scoffed up a big bowl of this brew which contained lettuce and other mysterious greens. It was delicious and so were the bugs which settled unbeknown to me into my stomach. They would have been lurking in the tap water in which the salad was no doubt washed, just waiting for some stupid tourist (ME) to gobble them up.

It's not a good look to spend days on the toilet in anybody's language, so this is just a reminder for all travellers both experienced and new, to remember to ALWAYS EAT COOKED FOOD.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A serious blonde moment

Oh no Travelkat, not good, hope you get better soon. Sound advice for everyone, unfortunate way though for a reminder :). We just got back from Sanur and I had to constantly remind hubby not to eat the salad on his plate for this very reason - rinsed in tap water!! Anyhow, luckily neither of us fell ill, I hope you are all better soon.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A serious blonde moment

It is possible you had some water spinach, I eat loads of salads in Bali but not water spinach.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,555 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A serious blonde moment

Hi travelkat

I had a delicious salad last night and have eaten several since being in Bali and I am absolutely fine. It really is luck of the draw, I'm afraid. I won't give up my salads. I guess it depends where you eat them? I hope you do feel better soon.

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
764 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A serious blonde moment

It is unfortunate for anyone to get sick when traveling but it is hard to blame any particular food. We regularly eat salads when in Bali and Thailand and have yet to have a problem

gold coast
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A serious blonde moment

You poor love, take care and rest up.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A serious blonde moment

These days there absolutely no need to avoid salads in Bali. It couldjust have easily, probably more so, have been the cash you used to pay for the salad.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,883 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A serious blonde moment

Poor travelkat, better stick to a bowl of Friskies in future.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,510 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A serious blonde moment

Damn TK. Very unfortunate! Even the most experienced of travellers can on occasion, let their guard down!

Hope you're on the mend.

Cheers

Edited: 07 June 2014, 07:25
Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,815 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A serious blonde moment

Yes, luck of the draw. I eat heaps of salads and heaps of kangkung (water spinach) in Bali and have never been sick.

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
6,860 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A serious blonde moment

Poor Miss Puss, hope you soon feel better. As with other posters, I also eat lots of salads, and I have the worst tummy around. But, touch wood, not had a problem for years. Although a Travel Bug a day seems to keep the belly bugs away in my case.