We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali in August 2014 - lots of questions

London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Bali in August 2014 - lots of questions

Hello, I am visiting Bali with my wife and our baby (15 months) in August 2014. The dates I am currently looking at are 25th August to 1st September (7 nights). We like culture, architecture, beaches, food and nature (nothing too strenuous).

My questions are:

- Is 7 nights an ok length of time?

- What sort of activities would you recommend for us to do?

- Are babies treated well on Bali?

- Where on Bali should we stay?

- Should we rent a car?

- Should we book any tours in advance or just when we get there?

- Should we stay in a hotel or are there apartments that we can rent?

Any help would be much appreciated! I have heard Bali is lovely but don't really know anything about it. I am planning the rest of my holiday around this and I've realised that I don't actually have any sort of plan!!

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,006 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali in August 2014 - lots of questions

1. No, coming so far you should stay at least 2 weeks, in my opinion that is.

2. See this link ~ tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k…

3. Children and babies are absolutely adored in Bali..your baby will be very happy.

4. Personally, if it were me, I would suggest Sanur. I think it is very user friendly..good footpaths, a great beach path to walk along and push your toddler in a pram, or hire bike with a baby seat and go for a ride. Also good shopping, restaurants and choice in accommodation.

5. No, get a driver to take you places. You can arrange that through your hotel.

6. If you are very keen to do a particular tour, then yes I would book ahead, but we have never and have not been disappointed and been able to book after we arrived.

7. I would stay in a hotel..perhaps look at a smaller place, but it depends really on what best suits you. There are villas as well, resorts. big and small hotels etc.

Hope this is of help.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,403 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali in August 2014 - lots of questions

In answer to some of your questions

7 days is good to give you a taste of Bali, but you could easily spend longer and not see it all.

Look at basing yourself in Seminyak, Sanur (both beach areas, I like Sanur) and/or Ubud ( inland).

No don't hire a car the traffic is crazy and road signage lacking - hire a driver for day trips and use taxis for shorter trips.

Book tours etc on arrival - either at your hotel or from one of the many booths on the street.

Most of all, enjoy.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
921 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali in August 2014 - lots of questions

Another vote for sanur great spot:-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali in August 2014 - lots of questions

Thanks for all the replies, they're really helpful.

We can't do 2 weeks - this is part of a month long holiday in Asia including Singapore, Jogyakarta and South Korea. We can perhaps stretch to 8 or 9 days, but I'm hoping 7 is enough?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated :-)

London
Level Contributor
2,521 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali in August 2014 - lots of questions

As part of your bigger trip, 7 days is fine. I would suggest you stay in Ubud - it's central, so it's a good base for exploring other parts of the island on day trips, but it has a lot of attractions in its own right.

Asia
Level Contributor
519 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali in August 2014 - lots of questions

I'd suggest concentrating on the cultural aspects as they are what makes Bali special - to be honest, I wasn't that impressed by the beaches (in comparison with Thailand, Goa or the Caribbean for example - I certainly feel sorry for anybody making the long trip from Europe just for a beach holiday).

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,006 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali in August 2014 - lots of questions

Bali has never been known for its beaches. It is a much bigger and richer whole, that brings so many of us back, time and time again.

Asia
Level Contributor
519 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bali in August 2014 - lots of questions

It may not be known for its beaches in Australia, but far, far fewer people go from the UK and I think there is a perception there that it's a beach paradise - at least that what people thought when I said I was going.

London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bali in August 2014 - lots of questions

That's interesting - I very much enjoy the cultural aspects, but I had also hoped for a good beach day or two! What are the best beaches?

Zaragoza, Spain
Level Contributor
462 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bali in August 2014 - lots of questions

I agree with you, people at least in Europe think we travel to bali just for a beach time.

I am sure there are, though personally I am also more interested in cultural social and why not gastronomic aspects,

We are traveling there these summer and thinking and also recommended in TA to stay in Ubud, but I am also looking for a chill and cool place to stay at the beach hanging around ...is Sanur only recommended for families. We are 4 friends (2couples) and we would like a quiet but not isolated place ...with some restaurants and bars ( not thinking in Kuta, seems too touristy and packed)

Thanks!,,