We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help me with my Itinerary

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
help me with my Itinerary

My Future Wife and I are going to Bali for our honeymoon in October. We will be leaving on Thursday October 9th from Indianapolis and arriving in Denpasar Saturday Oct 11th around 2:20pm. We will have 13 nights in Bali before we leave on Friday Oct 23rd to be back in Indianapolis Saturday Oct 24th.

Our budget is 6500 usd for the week including travel. I have budgeted 75 usd a day for food and 100 usd a day for lodging. I know we can spend alot more or alot less.

We are very adventurous with food and love to try local stuff, no chain restaurants for us (we dont expect chain resturants in Bali anyway). Is a average of 75 usd a day for 2 people about right? some days more, some days less.

My Wife wants our first few days to be relaxing on the beach. We want someplace quiet and calm but to have local flavor, No Crowded Beaches! Sanur seems like a good option especially cause its closer to the airport than some other places. We are definitely up for suggestions on this part of our trip though.

I want to do some diving while i am in Bali. While I know all of Bali is amazing for diving, I have been really excited to head to the Gili islands to experience everything that it has to offer. I also plan on doing atleast one dive in the first few days while my wife does the spa thing. Maybe something around Sanur. My wife will be joining me on most of the dives.

Lastly we want to do a little site seeing and experience the culture of Bali. It sounds like its pretty cut and dry that Ubud is the place for this.

Our first shot at the Itinerary looks something like this

Day:

1: Leave Indy to SFO

2: Leave SFO to DPS

3: Sanur Beach (travel day)

4: Sanur Beach

5: Sanur Beach

6: Sanur Beach

7: Sanur Beach

8: Gili Islands (travel day)

9: Gili Islands

10: Gili Islands

11: Gili Islands

12: Gili Islands

13: Ubud (travel day)

14: Ubud

15: Ubud

16: Leave DPS for SFO

17: Leave SFO to IND

Thats 5 nights in Sanur, 5 nights in the Gili Islands, and 3 Nights in Ubud.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Ross and Alisa

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
855 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help me with my Itinerary

Itinerary looks fine

However........please read a bunch of the information in the frequently asked questions on this page. Also try and do some research - firstly it's fun and secondly then you can come back and ask specific questions.

Perhaps visit a Travel Agent to answer a lot of your enquiry. Again, come back here to ask specific questions.

Unfortunately TA is not a travel agency, able to plan your holiday, but a wonderful group of volunteers ready to share their experiences - not plan your trip

Happy researching and look forward to your targeted questions soon.

Cheers

coffs harbour...
Level Contributor
5,322 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help me with my Itinerary

I can comment on the diving "something around Sanur" is not going to be at all exciting, and I'm not even sure any of the shops does dives there. Consider a day trip to Tulamben, it's a long trip 2.5 hours each way depending on traffic, but I feel you'd enjoy the Liberty Wreck and either the Drop Off or Coral gardens for your second dive.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: help me with my Itinerary

what i really wana know is if Sanur seems like the right place for our first 5 days. Im a little afraid that its too touristy for us. I have read mixed reviews on how the beach is. Does anyone have a recommendation on another area that might fit our needs better. maybe im wrong and Sanur is perfect for us.

I have contacted my local travel agencies and they have never been or sent anyone into the south pacific.

coffs harbour...
Level Contributor
5,322 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help me with my Itinerary

Ross, Sanur is nice. It is far less touristy than Kuta/Legian/Seminyak. There are great restaurants, a beautiful beach path - about 6km long, some tourist markets and some local markets. There are still rice fields in the area and traffic is nowhere near as crazy as the other areas.

Beaches in Bali are not generally known for being extremely beautiful, but Sanur is fine, and you will see local fishing boats, fishermen as well as families using the beach. Don't go to Bali expecting swaying palm trees, brilliant blue water....

I also suggest you do the organising of your trip yourself. Most of us never use a travel agent and you can save heaps booking online, both with your airline and the hotels, or use booking sites such as Agoda, Booking.com

If you decide not to do a day trip dive from Sanur, I'd suggest cutting a day from there and adding to Ubud were you will see a lot more of the culture. Or cut down Sanur anyway and add to Ubud as its a great base for day trips to other parts of the island

Edited: 18 June 2014, 03:59
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
8,596 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help me with my Itinerary

Lots of stuff to talk about on your thread, but just a comment...all of Bali is NOT amazing for diving..of course there are several places that do have wonderful diving but not the entire island..just so you do not expect to dive right off the beach in places like Sanur. However, from Sanur it's easy to get a boat to other islands like Nusa Lembongan/Nusa Penida for wonderful diving.

As far as how to split your days, it's completely a personal thing..I would go crazy on an of the smaller islands as I want to do shopping and sightseeing, which is mostly on Bali not the Gilis or Lembongan. However, if you want to be right on the water all the time then you would like it.

I do think that if you want to sightsee and see some Hindu Balinese culture you should add at least a couple of days to your Ubud stay. You will probably use at least 2 or 3 days for varying trips from Ubud to do the sightseeing and Ubud spas are really great for that "Balinese" flair.

Sanur is extremely touristy but in a fairly good way...lots of shops selling tourist stuff and cafes catering to tourists right at your door step. If you have been to Venice California it's something like that. Sanur does have that wonderful boardwalk which I could do every day and never get tired of for people watching. As above, you can walk most places in Sanur as it's off the through-roads so the only traffic that has to enter the Sanur area is tourist traffic. (similar to Waikiki). The regular work-a-day traffic bypasses Sanur on a large Bypass road that is conveniently close by does not impose itself on the Sanur Beach area.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,387 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help me with my Itinerary

There are a number of good dive sites that are accessible from Sanur. As cbimages has said a day trip to Tulumben is a very good option, but if you wanted something closer I would recommend a trip to Manta Point/Crystal Bay or the dive sites near the north of Nusa Penida. Both of these trips are about a 45min boat ride from Sanur. If it is mola mola (oceanic sun fish) season (can't remember if it is then or not) then you may need to book Crystal Bay in advance as this is one of the better places to see them and is therefore popular.

In Sanur I use Joe's Gone Diving, but there are a number of reputable companies to choose from.

Sanur is touristy, but has a chilled out vibe. It is not a stereotypical tropical island paradise, but my husband and I really enjoy it there. It also has good restaurants and spas for lots of massages to help recover from the long flight. There are water sports such as paddle boarding to work off the good food too.

For me 5 days in the Gili Islands would be too much (unless you are real beach lovers) - I would take a day and add it to Ubud.

I agree that you can easily book your trip yourself on line. With flights it is best to book directly with the airline, with hotels I often book through reputable on-line booking sites like Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia or Wotif. You can check reviews on Trip Advisor (or ask on here for advice) once you have narrowed down your options.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: help me with my Itinerary

The Gili island is 100% for diving. I plan on cramming as many dives as I can in 4 or 5 days.

Based on your suggestions we might take a day from sanur and do a extra day in ubud.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: help me with my Itinerary

As of now we have modified our trip to have more days in Ubud and less at our first destination. We are now torn between Sanur and Amed for that first 3 nights. I kinda wana dive the USS liberty and Amed seems more of our style. Still doing research but any input is welcome.

Edited: 19 June 2014, 01:10
9. Re: help me with my Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 06:16