We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali hotel asking for creditcard and passport copies

Sydney, Australia
9 posts
Save Topic
Bali hotel asking for creditcard and passport copies

I have been travelling overseas for many years now and was taken aback when on recently booking a hotel on the Gilli Islands in Bali, they requested a photocopy of my credit card (front and back ) and a photocopy of my passport as well as my credit card details, to secure the booking. The information was to be faxed/scanned to them . I have already supplied my credit card details. The alarm bells started. Has anyone experienced this before as I never have? Does alarm bells sound for you too?

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,650 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali hotel asking for creditcard and passport copies

Hi cat - see this previous discussion a couple of pages back:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k7…

Yes, it's not uncommon.

Edited: 18 June 2014, 08:09
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,793 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali hotel asking for creditcard and passport copies

It's not the hotels and shops etc that need it..the banks do not allow credit card transactions for foreign cards that are outside the country. Once you are in Indonesia you can use it normally.

However, that seems that the hotel is going to charge your card right away. If you cancel your booking you might be out of luck. If possible i would use a secure transaction site or find a different way to leave your deposit.

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali hotel asking for creditcard and passport copies

Before travelling to Bali, I read many reviews of my hotel where it was mentioned that the front desk took a photocopy of the credit card.

To avoid this, I took a photocopy of my credit card (front and back) and struck my CVV (3 digit Card Verification Value) number with black ink, so much that it was no longer discernible. At the time of check-in, when the receptionist asked for my credit card, I told them I already had a photocopy and gave it to them. This way, I avoided giving my credit card to them and they also did not have my CVV number.

I believe one cannot do anything with the credit card number, without knowing the CVV number. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
265 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali hotel asking for creditcard and passport copies

We had it in Fiji they asked for our debit card and in Phuket they took copies if our passport

5. Re: Bali hotel asking for creditcard and passport copies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 05:17