We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adventure Tourism in Bali

Adelaide, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Adventure Tourism in Bali

Hi, I'm wanting to go to Bali in the next year or two but I'm not sure if the trip is worth the risk.

Has anyone had any accidents over there, that I will need to be aware of when I'm over there?

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adventure Tourism in Bali

Lots of stubbed toes, and sunburns. :)Make sure you do wear sunscreen and insect repellant, don' t carry a lot of money or valuables around with you, watch your alcohol intake and don't leave drinks unattended , wear a bike helmet and protective clothing if riding a bike and really you are just as safe in Bali as Adelaide and more stimulated I expect :)

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
London
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adventure Tourism in Bali

There are risks everywhere in the world.

Yes, the traffic can be mad in Bali, so you need your wits about you when crossing roads. Yes, some people have been bitten by monkeys, so maybe avoid the monkey forest if you're worried about this. Yes, there appears to have been a spate of handbagging snatches in the southern resorts, so don't carry huge wads of cash and cards. And yes, people drink too much and get sick or fall over.

Apart from the monkeys, these things could and do happen in any city.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adventure Tourism in Bali

Beth, if it's "adventure" touring you are seeking, I would imagine you are referring to going off the beaten track, adventure activities, strenuous activity and sporting pursuits.

Whether in Bali or elsewhere, then there will always be the associated risk of accident, injury, cuts, abrasions and associated infection with seeking adventure.

Ensure that wherever you travel you also have adequate travel insurance (also including coverage for any specific activities you intend to undertake at your destinations - ie: motorcycling, skydiving, paragliding, skiing, etc), and also check with any adventure tour companies you are using that they are reputable, also with insurance coverage of their own......You may also be requested to sign disclaimers for certain activities, stating you are aware of and accept the potential risks involved

Check with your own doctor during your trip planning stage for any required vaccinations and/or potential health warnings/risks for the areas you will frequent.

Pack a small and basic first aid kit to address any little cuts or scratches so that infection doesn't set in....and get onto these small injuries quickly.

Have contact details of suitable medical facilities on hand.

Most of all, enjoy! I too tend to seek adventure, travelling to areas and destinations other tourists do not normally venture, and adventure does sometimes mean taking small "acceptable" risks, Good planning, background research, good management, reputable companies and well maintained equipment will help minimise any associated risk involved.....simply a matter of being prepared and fully acknowledging what it is you intend to undertake, while not venturing beyond your own limitations.

The planning for my own next trip which is to be something of an "adventure" rather than a holiday has already begun, and that trip is not due for another 11 months yet. I hope this early planning and preparation will provide adequate time for proper research and an increased level of personal safety.....maybe a tip that could also assist you in your own endeavours.

Let us all know exactly what it is you are planning, should anyone else here have similar interests and more specific knowledge on that activity.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,613 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adventure Tourism in Bali

Beth, I had a friend who had an accident 2 days whilst out on a downhill bike ride - the rider in front of him stopped for some reason and he rode straight into him. He did sustain some injuries but not severe. The company he was riding with had all the necessary first aid equipment and did a terrific job of cleaning and dressing the wounds. No need to carry your own!

Cheers

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
11,658 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adventure Tourism in Bali

Hm...Beth when you say "Adventure Tourism" does that mean you are doing to be doing a lot of jumping off of rocks or paragliding or high risk sports? Not sure from your post if you are worried about risks from sports or just from arriving and being bitten by a disease carrying mosquito?

There are tourists who come to Bali and stay in one of the Nusa Dua resorts and never leave the compound, and freak out if they see a lizard.(yes, one of my friends). Then there are those who come without travel medical insurance, jog up and down Batur volcano and think Bali is too tame. (someone else I know)

But people do have accidents all over the world, the internet is always focusing on the most dramatic things that happen. But I read once that more people die from a slip and fall in their own bathroom than most other reasons. If you are already planning a trip I would just relax and put more energy into how you are going to enjoy your holiday than letting fear of the as-yet-unknown keep you from enjoying life.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Nusa Dua
Nusa Dua
Nusa Dua Peninsula, Indonesia
6. Re: Adventure Tourism in Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 07:16