We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali!

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Bali!

So I my husband and I and another couple are very interested in traveling to Bali. We will be coming from Denver, CO. We are wondering if 9 or 10 nights there is a long enough time to stay there. We are also thinking about going either early this August or wait until Feb. Does any one have any suggestions on when we should go, amount of time, and where we should stay? We want to get in some beach time but also see some of the culture and the sights. I just don't know if we should split our time half at the beach and half somewhere where we will be closer to the culture? Is there anything that we need to make sure is on our list of things to see there? Thanks!

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali!

Hi Amanda. For weather, August would be far better than February which is firmly in the wet season. And yes, it's very easy to split your time with a few nights chilling out on a beach, then have few nights somewhere like Ubud for a change of scenery and a slice of culture. My uncertainty for you would be travelling all that way for only 9 or 10 nights. This is assuming you're not heading elsewhere in SE Asia?

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,901 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali!

Hi Amanda ,coming all the way from Colorado I don't think 9 days is long enough. Far better to try and spend at least 3 weeks visiting 2 places in SE Asia. August is peak season and although it is a good time to visit Bali you will have to contend with the Australian School Holidays which makes it very busy. February is wet season but I love going to Bali in February. Less crowded, rain does not present a problem as it is usually only in short spurts or at night. The weather does not stop you from doing any activities really.

Split your time between a beach area ie Sanur or Legian and for the culture Ubud.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali!

We did 12 days last year. I recommend more than 9 if possible, it will take you 30 hours to get there and you will be jet lagged. I recommend splitting time in Ubud (3-4 days minimum) and then go visit some beaches. We did Seminyak, Sanur and East Bali, which is great to visit sites and local markets but not such a great beach there. Sanur had beautiful calm beach but I liked Seminyak better. Lots of people go to Kuta, but we didnt' want to do crazy night club busy scene.

melbourne
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali!

I don't know about how long to stay, but you won't have any Australian school holidays in August. They are finished by late July and the next ones aren't till late September, so no worries there.

SansSouci
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali!

There are no Aust School Holidays in August, they begin at the end of September.

Feb will be cheaper as in accommodation as it's low season.

(Most rain during the wet season between Dec/Feb & usually Dec/Jan a lot of rain in the Kuta area)

August weather is slightly cooler due to a breeze, i have just returned from Bali (Legian and Poppies 1/Kuta) and June weather reminded me of last August. Hot with a cooling breeze on a few days.

August is also European holiday season but we certainly did not find it crowded as tourists are spread across the island in the resort areas, Ubud, Candi Dasa/Amed/Gilis/Lombok etc.

As previous reply Kuta does have the nightclubs(along Jl Legian)and the area at night is busy with patrons entering/exiting the clubs but during the day it's not much different to Legian/Seminyak with people out and about walking/shopping etc.

I'd suggest reading the list under the heading Top Questions about Bali right hand side of main page and this will give you a good start with ideas, but do come back with any questions.

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,901 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali!

Hahaha, used to be August when I went to school. Note to self, do not go on the forum when still half asleep. I still prefer February over August.

As sumahama suggested look over on the right hand side especially under Day Trips and Things to do in Bali, work out what interests you the most and from that you should be able to estimate how long to stay in each area.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,975 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali!

Many people stay 2 - 3 weeks. I would suggest you spend more than 9 - 10 nights.

Take time to do more research, so you can learn about the different areas to stay in Bali. Also look at spending some time in Lombok or stay in another destination if you can stretch your time to 3 weeks.

Once you are in Bali things are relatively inexpensive so staying longer makes sense unless you are looking at 5* standard hotels and meals. Any time of the year is good in Bali. Even in the wet season there is still plenty to do to fill in your time. August is ideal and less humid.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bali!

hi I think 10 days in Bali is long enough,.however you are travelling a long way to get there. can I suggest you then continue your trip to Perth Western Australia, you can get flights with airasia super cheap i'm flying at the end of this month for $200 AUS return crazy prices and you will have an awesome time

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bali!

I don't think the price to get here is an issue hale05 it's the crazy prices of food, accommodation, activities, fuel etc when you get here. Don't get me wrong. I love W.A and would recommend it to anyone as a holiday destination. It's just a bit of a shock to the wallet after Asia.

I don't think 9 or 10 days is long enough.

Edited: 29 July 2014, 08:55
10. Re: Bali!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 07:15