We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Updated Self-driving information

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
632 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Updated Self-driving information

Hi there,

I know this has been asked and answered loads of times before but I have tried to do a search on updated information on self-driving especially in terms of any new reliable rental car agencies and problems with traffic police and have come out with scanty or nought information as of 2014.

We are accustomed to driving in South East Asia ( Kuala. Lumpur and Bangkok included) so am not terribly fazed by the traffic conditions . And we like the independence and flexibility of driving and exploring on our own at our own pace and timing. Having said that, we also want a hassle free holiday so i hope to minimize chances of the car breaking down or getting into scraps with the local police etc.

Any comments here would be appreciated. Thank you.

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Updated Self-driving information

We have self driven in Bali many times and never had any problems, stopped by police a few times and they just checked licence and registration and we were on our way. We have used a rental place in Jalan Padma several times and we have even been given a brand new vehicle with a 120 kms on it.

We are Australian so organize an international drivers licence before we leave, I imagine that Malayasia would have a similar international licence process? That was all the police require.

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,629 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Updated Self-driving information

To self drive in Bali you will need an International Driver's Permit usually issued in your home country. When driving in Bali you must have your International Driver's Permit plus your home country Driver's License plus the registration papers for the car in order.

Some travel Insurance Companies will only cover you in case of an accident if you hire a car from a licensed car rental business. Some of the small agencies you see on all the streets will not be licensed. Having PT in front of the name is pretty much a guarantee it is licensed.

There are road checks at certain places and you will probably be pulled up at them for an on the spot check. If everything is in order you will have no problems with the police and they will wave you on your way. Outside Supernova is one and outside Sanur on the way to Padangbai is another.

We use Pak Komang at Amertha Dana in Jl Werkadara whose car rental business is licensed and have never had any problems.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,033 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Updated Self-driving information

Hi,

Not much has changed this year so the info from previous years is still valid.

Last October I was stopped once at a checkpoint and the policeman tried to tell me the registration papers were not the originals and it was not legal. I kept smiling, looked surprised and told him I always get these from Pak Komang when I rent from him.

He sent me on my way looking upset it didn't work.

I must say it was the first time I was stopped since 2006, almost felt left out ;)

Like FameNsw I rent from Pak Komang on Jl Werkudara since 2006, never had to complain. He sends one of his boys to pick me up at the airport and I also get a ride back when I leave.

The only time I had a "problem" with the car, it was a leaky circuit at the foot of the passenger seat. I brought it back and he exchanged it right away.

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
632 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Updated Self-driving information

Thank you so much for your replies.

Any contact or email for this Pak Komang? How were the rates like? Isnt there a hertz or avis or any international car rental company that you could pick up directly or drop off at airport?

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
632 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Updated Self-driving information

i will check up on the International Drivers license requirement as we were given to understand being part of the ASEAN community, we are allowed to drive on our licenses for a month . Hence a license from Singapore or Malaysia allows one to drive interchangeably without the need for any other license. Will need to check if this is still the case.

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,629 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Updated Self-driving information

Yes there are car rental places at the airport which might suit you better. Toyota, Hertz, Blue Bird and Koperasi are all present and maybe Thrifty but not sure on that one.

Amertha Dana website is

http://www.amerthadana.com/

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,629 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Updated Self-driving information

You are correct oal, I had forgotten about the ASEAN agreement.

asean.org/communities/asean-economic-communi…

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
632 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Updated Self-driving information

Brilliant! How long does it take to drive from the airport to Ubud? And are there sign posts to it? Are the cars equipped with GPS or should we just rely on maps?

Thank you.

9. Re: Updated Self-driving information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 05:17