We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Bali Trip -1

Nagambie, Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
My Bali Trip -1

Last school holidays took my 17 year old Grandson with me, had to bribe him as he was not keen to go.

Arrived Melbourne airport in time only to find our flight was going to be delayed 1 hour due to head winds, loaded on new Dreamliner nice plane but found seats to be really narrow.

Landed seat belt sign out passengers collecting bits and bobs waiting, waiting, staff announced "Sorry for the delay but our gate is not ready" waiting again "Sorry for the delay but we cannot use the gate they have to find stairs" still waiting again "Sorry for the delay but the stairs are the wrong size will not reach so they have to find others" by this time nearly everybody is back sitting next announcement "Sorry for the delay they have the right stairs and we will be disembarking shortly" could only happen in Bali. Buses to airport but while we waited to disembark a full Singapore flight had landed so immigration was busy, found our driver arrived villa at 1.30am.

Had booked Amansari Villas which is in the foreground of Griya Santrian in the 80's this area was beautiful gardens now tarmac that's progress? had ground floor large room with basic cooking facilities short walk to beach and restaurants.

Next morning decided to go to Hardys for drinks and nibbles this is where Nick got a shock with the amount of traffic, drivers rushing up to offer transport taxis calling out shop keepers wanting us to come in and the humidity he was ready to hop on a plane to go home. Shopping done caught taxi back to room where Nick declared that he was not going out of the room again during the day staying in with the aircon, as he is a fussy eater I had taken noodles and tuna so he won't starve. I caught taxi to Sindu beach to see Intan at her spa shop, over the last few years we have got friendly and I always take over things for her and 2 daughters, had nails done caught up on all her news really lovely lady who's husband went off with another female and left her with 2 young girls so Mum had to come from her village to help out leaving Dad by himself.

Next day I had organised sea walking for Nick, he did not want to go but I told him I had paid, he enjoyed it I went for massage on the beach we had lunch then back to room. I found a driver on the street Made Suparta Nada 081 353 366 037 www.tourdriver-made.co.cc very nice young man, small nearly new Toyota organised for me to go to Ubud in a couple of days.

Next day caught taxi to Seminyak Square to have a look around, asked driver where was Biku he told me 200mts to left I pointed to left he said yes, he wanted to wait told him I will walk, looked around shops started walking had gone about 200 mts came to resort asked security how far he told just up the road off again came to structure where older couple and young man were sitting me puffing young man asked me where you go Oma told him he said too far for you to walk for 10,000 I will take you on my motor bike well surely it cannot be that far now so OK ( me thinking am I insured to ride on motor bike) climb aboard tell him not too fast head down hanging on tight off we go and yes was definitely too far to walk (where did taxi driver get 200mts) climb off legs like jelly wobble across road to Biku even thou I did not have a booking found me a seat out the back probably because I was a pale looking, reviving pot of tea yummy sandwiches and goodies, caught a blue bird taxi back this driver was the nicest taxi person the whole holiday, him and family came from Flores for work spoke English so well had a lovely chat.

Off to Ubud stopping at Villa Kitty to drop off donations, had a petting sessions with lovely cats, the kittens were so cute Elizabeth does an amazing job she is passionate about her cats.

Needed to change some money so Made dropped me off near Monkey forest, a young couple getting served at counter, as I waited all of a sudden there was a scream a rush of air whats happening looked at young girl who was pointing to the front door where a huge monkey was calmly unwrapping a sandwich throwing out the lettuce sat there busy eating, it appears he had come thru the back and stolen the cashier lunch she got a broom and tried to push him out but he was not moving till he had finished he just sat there glaring at us then walked off down the road.

Called into Bali Kopi House Restaurant for lunch ordered sate which came on skewers with yummy sauce. While I was waiting a man at next table started to talk to me telling me that he came from America a couple of times a year to buy paintings chatting on then he said to me that I should go to bathroom me thinking why!! when I asked why he told me to look at the painting over washbasin and tell him what I think of it appears he has been wanting to buy it for several years but not for sale so off I went to me nothing special but told him nice then all of a sudden he jumps up rushes out the door not sure what he was about.

Next day Made came to take me to Galleria to have a look around, parked on upper level I noted sign above entrance "North Entrance" so I won't get lost, had a good look around when I smelt doughnuts cooking found the shop had coffee and 3 of the most light and fluffy doughnuts ever had, now need to find driver asked a security man for north entrance he had no English so stopped a Balinese family to help me Mum, Dad and 2 children she asked how she could help and led me to the ground floor carpark where she gave me her phone to ring driver now I cannot work out all the numbers so gave her his card she rang him and organised him to come and collect me I tried to pay her she told me no us women must help each other, now driver is lost cannot find us he rang twice before worked out where we were, this lovely family stayed with me until he came she gave me a big hug.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Bali Trip -1

It sounds like you are going to make the most of Bali and seem to be enjoying yourself . I would be leaving the grandson in the room with a slice of left over toast the whole day if he carries on like he is. Tell him the air con is not allowed on all day and to get outside and look around a new country:)

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,474 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Bali Trip -1

Sounds like you are having a great trip. Has your grandson left the room yet?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Bali Trip -1

Thanks elijay for your great report. Interesting story about the man and the painting in the bathroom. Sounds like a bit of an odd bod to me. Funny story with the sandwich eating monkey. They can be aggressive little buggers, no wonder they didn't move him until he finished. Hope you continue to enjoy your holiday.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Bali Trip -1

Can I come with you next time?...lol. hope your grandson is getting more adventurous.

London
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Bali Trip -1

Teenagers, eh? The choice between air con, room service and multi-channel tv or a different country? Such a tough life.

Thanks for the Bali fix.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,662 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Bali Trip -1

Thanks ell, and noodles with tuna doesn't sound as appetising as a nice mie goreng or nasi campus. Bali Kopi House is a little gem of a cafe with some quite interesting bubble coffees.

7. Re: My Bali Trip -1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 06:17