We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon - First time Bali - Is this possible?

Emirate of Dubai...
Level Contributor
43 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon - First time Bali - Is this possible?

Hi guys,

So I am planning my honeymoon in Singapore + Bali, I will arrive in singapore on the 25th August around 4pm, so I thought I will spend that day in singapore and catch morning airasia flight to bali next morning.

So total time in Bali will be from 26th and then departing 6th or 7th , stay in singapore for 3-4 nights and head back to London.

This will leave us with 11-12 nights in Bali,

We would love to explorer as much as possible, (no parties or party atmosphere, so ruled Kuta out)

I have already booked 1st sept to 4th sept in Ubud @ The Jumah , Will around 4D 3NTS Be enough for Ubud?

My idea was to spend the 26th,27th,28th @ Sanur and maybe explorer a bit on one of the days, and then 29th Morning head to Gili T ?

How many days/nights should be sufficient for Gili islands?

would it be possible to stay here to the 1st and head to Ubud from here? or will it kill the whole day? and maybe be better to come back 31st to sanur then make our way next morning to Ubud?

from the 4th to the 6th or 7th, we would like to then go to Jimbaran or Nusa Dua and explorer the south part as well as be close to the airport for our departure?

Is it too much to squeeze 4 places in 11-12 nights?

I would love to hear any suggestions and even new alternatives to the "itinerary".

Also while at Sanur at the start, and Jimbaran / Nusa Dua towards the end, would you recommend renting a scooter to get around? just so we can see the place in our own time, rather than being in a taxi when going from A to B?

Sorry for the long post, please forgive me!

Thanks guys

SansSouci
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon - First time Bali - Is this possible?

Hi Mus7

I apologize for my reply if it sounds rude/or as if i am having a shot at you but it annoys me that people avoid Kuta because of 'what they read or hear' before they even set food in Bali.

KUTA may be known as the party capital of Bali but it's not party central during the day and there is only one area of Kuta (Jl Legian) where there are nightclubs/bars that you would want to avoid late at night/early morning if that does not interest you. .

While you may have heard or read that you should not entrer or cross the boundary into Kuta i can assure you it's quite safe to spend a day there just to say you have been to Kuta and have stepped on the famous Kuta beach.

Rant over!!

You want to explore Bali as much as possible but are talking about Gili Trawangan/gGili islands?

It's your honeymoon, stick with Bali this time & i'm sure you will return again so that you can spend time on the Gili's.

SansSouci
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon - First time Bali - Is this possible?

Set foot

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,122 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon - First time Bali - Is this possible?

Hi Mus and welcome to the Bali forum. I think you're trying to fit too much into 11 or 12 days. For my taste, going straight to the Gilis is one step too far. You'll have had a 12 hour flight to Singapore, a 2 and a half hour flight to Bali, then you're looking at either a couple of hours on a boat, or a flight to Lombok, car to a harbour then boat to Gilis. Bear in mind the fast boats only tend to leave Bali around 9am also.

So I would either do Sanur, Gilis then Ubud, or Ubud, Gilis and Sanur if you've decided on this holy trinity. Stick the Gilis in the middle so you're not rushing to catch your departing flight straight off the boat. Four nights in Ubud sounds okay, and if going to the effort and cost of getting to the Gilis, I would consider 3 or 4 nights there. So you could comfortably do a 4/3/4 or 4/4/4 split.

Hope this helps.

Emirate of Dubai...
Level Contributor
43 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon - First time Bali - Is this possible?

Thanks for the replies guys,

@sumahama, thanks for the reply, points taken, and yeah you right it would definitely be worth a visit, what I mean was that we do not want to be located there, but probably would wanna go for a visit for a day just to see it as you say.

Also with regards to the trip to Gili, its because my other half really wanted a few days were we are on like quite beach and just lazy around ( she wanted to spend the whole honey moon on the Maldives or Mauritius on the beach!! so this is the least I can do for her after making her agree we go somewhere where we have other stuff to do lol)

@Happynoodle,

thanks for making it so clear! I definitely will not go straight after arriving at Bali, as you say too much travelling and + boats leaving early morning. The one problem with doing 4/3/4 split and keeping Gili in the middle is that I already have booked the villa in Ubud from the 1st sept to 4th sept.

Do you think arriving on the 26tth in the morning, staying in Sanur the whole of 26th + 27th , and leaving for Gili on the 28th, staying there 28th, 29th, 30th and 31st, then leaving Gili on the 1st September in the morning and head straight to Ubud, will work? Anyone have any idea how long that will take? speedboat to Sanur then taxi/Hotel pick-up from there will be best and most time efficient, I guess?

We then check out from the villa in Ubud, on the 4th, and will I think we leave just 3 nights for Singapore, so leave bali on the 7th. that will leave us with the 4th, 5th and 6th to stay either at Sanur again or Jimbaran?

I would really appreciate your thoughts on that, or should I really try and see if the Villa we staying at in Ubud can alter our dates without a charge?

Also, those last 3 days we would like to do some water sports, such as Jetskiing, Paragliding, and maybe even Fly-Boarding for the first time if the price is fair, are these watersports mostly on Nusa Dua or?

Many thanks guys, and

Edited: 26 June 2014, 00:57
Australia
Level Contributor
616 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon - First time Bali - Is this possible?

Going out from sanur for a day trip (or maybe 2 nites) to Nusa Lembongnan.....for sensational snorkelling...."TigerLilys" for accom....read TA reviews......white sandy beaches....beautiful blue ocean....enjoy ;-)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
265 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon - First time Bali - Is this possible?

Congrats on your wedding and honeymoon.

I'm known for jamming as much as possible into a holiday so won't actually comment on your plans for Bali...however I will say that 3-4 nights in Singapore is a VERY long time.

Even in being jet-lagged from your stopover on the way from London, I reckon you would have seen all that Singapore has to offer in the space of 12 hours.

Before anyone gets on to me - I'm not bagging Singapore, its a nice and uber clean city, just not a whole lot to do...you could spend a day at Sentosa Island I guess....but why do that when you could spend an extra day or 3 in Bali.

Just sayin'

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,122 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon - First time Bali - Is this possible?

Hi Mus - your Sanur/Gili/Ubud + another would work. For my taste it's too many places in such a short time, but we're all different. I'd be inclined to get a fast boat from Benoa/Serangan near Sanur for your outwards journey to the Gilis. But then get a boat to Padang Bai when you head back. It's a shorter journey on the water (about an hour and a half), then you're looking at an hour on the road to Ubud. This should shave around an hour off your journey compared to if you got the boat back to Benoa/Serangan. For watersports, then Tanjung Benoa may be worth a look.

SansSouci
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon - First time Bali - Is this possible?

There is actually a lot to do in Singapore, so i think 3/4days is worth thinking about if you have never been there & likely not to ever go there again.

If you are not afraid of walking it's a very walkable city. Chinatown is not all that exciting, there is still Bugis Street, Open air food courts, Raffles Hotel, Clark Quay/Robertson's Quay, Changi Museum, the Esplanade, Hard Rock cafe, cable car across to Sentosa island & when we were there last they were building a mono rail? across to Sentosa, also the big wheel like London Eye.

You could do a night harbour cruise, we did on recommendation from friends.

For the Gili's and for what your partner is looking for (Maldives/Mauritius)i'd suggest you go Gili Nanggu, Sudak & Tangkong (south/west of Senggigi/Lombok)rather than Trawangan, Meno & Air.

Even consider 5th & 6th, on Nusa Lembongan as Marquin's reply rather than Jimbaran, you depart from Sanur.

Water sports are available in Sanur but the main area for watersports is Tanjung Benoa, jet ski's, paragliding, flying fish, banana boat etc.

Emirate of Dubai...
Level Contributor
43 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon - First time Bali - Is this possible?

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions guys, really appreciate it!

@aussiebecs - haha yeah I tend to be like that too- try get in as much as possible - which maybe isn't the best thing to do always.

With regards to Singapore, We want to go Sentosa for at least a day and a half or maybe 2 days. as I believe Universal Studios and the Waterpark and maybe 2-3 activities, will need more than a day. and then we leave another day for museums shopping streets and other random stuff.

@Sumahama , thanks for the heads up on the harbour cruise, I will for sure look into that.

Hmm thats interesting, so are the Gili Nanggu, Sudak and Tangkong easy to get to as well? are you recommending that based on being more private and nicer beach and like the "jungle island and beach feel" ?

I will also have a look on whether we do Lembongan or stay on bali for the last few days, I thought maybe we would stay just to see a bit of the "mainland" rather than just being on islands, but anything can change :) so thanks for that too Marquin.

Happynoodle, thanks for the advice, so will it be possible to book a Return boat that goes from one destination but return to another, also is it best to book these speedboats on Gilibookings.com , or can should I just book it at the hotel or from the tour shops, I guess we can get a better price rather than booking online?

Many thanks guys

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,122 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon - First time Bali - Is this possible?

Book single tickets, either online directly via the boat operators, or via an agent site such as you mention. Or you can book from tour offices in Bali. August is high season though, so personally I'd book in advance.

Universal Studios can take up a full day; you can spend a good amount of time just queuing for the rides. I'd advise getting there early, and don't sit in the front row of the Waterworld show unless you want to get drenched. The food isn't cheap there, which you also need to queue for, and it's quite mediocre, so bulk up on breakfast. The Aquarium on Sentosa is worth a visit.

You'll easily be able to fill your time in Singapore; but it can be tiring. Like Bali, Singapore has it's fans and detractors.