We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible last minute trip to Bali-12 nghts-help w/ location?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
136 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Possible last minute trip to Bali-12 nghts-help w/ location?

Hi! I know people get irritated when it's clear someone hasn't researched before asking questions, but this is somewhat of a special circumstance. My husband & I canceled our dream trip to Kenya last week over recent terrorist activities (and we are not the type to scare easily) & are scrambling to find alternate locations, possibly leaving as early as next week. So I've not had much time to do any sort of proper research. Bali is #1 on the list b/c of ease of obtaining a visa, beach, forests, cultural activities & seems like we could more or less wing it once we got there (and read a guidebook in our limited spare time).

If we went, it would be for 12 nights & tentatively be 4 nights each in Seminyak, Ubud & Nusa Dua or Jimbaran. We prefer high-end accomodations & do not like hopping around from town to town & prefer a semi-leisurely vacation, perhaps doing activities every other day & lounging around/reading at pool or beach & walking around the rest of the time & soaking in the atmosphere. Would these 3 locations for the 12 days sound OK? If so, in what order? As background, we are both 40 years old, do not like the party scene, do love a mix of pure relaxation & pretty intense physical activity (I run marathons but love yoga as cross-training), would like a mixture of beach/forest & we are basically pretty laid-back.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

SansSouci
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible last minute trip to Bali-12 nghts-help w/ location?

Nusa Dua a 5* resort area, security at the entrance to road into the resort.

I would suggest you plan on Nusa Dua, Seminyak & Ubud, 4nights in each or cut Seminyak to 2nights and add nights to Ubud or Nusa Dua. (what order Seminyak, Ubud & Nusa Dua at the end for the more relaxing part)

Nusa Dua you will have the relaxing, sit by pool, swim from a nice/manicured beach.

Seminyak, hotels/resorts/villa's, upmarket resturants, boutique shopping, beach & beach bars.

Ubud in the hilly region of Gianyar is now considered to be the artistic & cultural centre of Bali.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
173 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible last minute trip to Bali-12 nghts-help w/ location?

Hi TX. I think your itinerary sounds great.

In Ubud, the Alaya Resort is beautiful and situated right next door to the Yoga Barn.

Perhaps consider Sanur for your 3rd leg?

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,121 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible last minute trip to Bali-12 nghts-help w/ location?

Hi Tex - I can sympathise with your plight; one of my friends has just had to cancel a honeymoon to Kenya also, so no irritation from this TripAdvisor.

On the face of it, Bali sounds like a sensible option for what you're looking for, and it's the right time of year to visit certainly. The three centre plan is a good one in 12 days, and considering what you want to do, it's a good mix. Seminyak will give you beach time, good restaurants, and boutique shopping. There's no escaping that it's quite busy and urban in feel. Ubud will give you a different pace amongst rice fields and plunging gorgres, with plenty of chances to explore the area, or use as a base for touring. Of your remaining choices, Nusa Dua has the better hotels in my opinion, but Jimbaran has the edge in terms of atmosphere on a night in the seafood restaurants. Either would be good options for just chilling out.

You can do any order you want really. For my money, I'd go for chilling time first, especially after that long flight, then change the scenery inland to Ubud for a slice of culture, then finish in Seminyak for last minute shopping and to put yourselves back into high gear ready for a return to normal life.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible last minute trip to Bali-12 nghts-help w/ location?

From a fellow Longhorn who is also going to Bali for 12 nights in Sept, here is our Itinerary and hopefully it gives you some ideas

tripadvisor.com/…59181771

I agree with most of the other posters that I think you should have some days in Ubud, probably 3 to 4 nights to have a change of pace from the ocean.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible last minute trip to Bali-12 nghts-help w/ location?

Hi Tx_Longhorn,

This Sooner tends to agree with Noodles regarding the order of your stay. After those long flights and to cope with the jetlag, starting in Nusa Dua is a good idea.

There are a couple of places to visit nearby if you feel the need to be more active on the first few days and Nusa Dua is probably the best place around for watersport activities.

Ubud has lots to offer from ricefields walks, whitewater rafting or climbing on top of a volcano to see the sunrise (depending on conditions at the time). Of course lots of shops, crafts and restaurants if you feel like walking about in the area.

In most of the nicest hotels you'll enjoy peaceful scenery of jungle and gorges. From experience (albeit a few years back) Ubud Hanging Garden was wonderful. Closer to Ubud "central" the Komaneka group is my favorite accomodation option in Ubud with 4 boutique hotels in the area.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 23:23
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
136 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible last minute trip to Bali-12 nghts-help w/ location?

Wow, thanks so much everyone for the awesome feedback & ideas! Y'all are great! If we can make this trip a reality on such short notice, we'll be ecstatic! And will write a trip report! I saw this place in Ubud called Puri Sunia Resort in Ubud where I can run & the hotel will provide a guide to run with me for as long as I want. Fabulous! And awesome to see Longhorns & Sooners working together in this forum! :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible last minute trip to Bali-12 nghts-help w/ location?

Longhorns & Sooners ??? I think you've probably lost most of the Aussies reading this thread. ( well me, anyway !)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
136 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible last minute trip to Bali-12 nghts-help w/ location?

freogal - University of Texas at Austin Longhorns & University of Oklahoma Sooners are big-time rivals here in the States! Cheers!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Possible last minute trip to Bali-12 nghts-help w/ location?

Also, I would consider staying in a private villa (not a hotel based one) for part of your stay. I think you get a lot of value from villa vacation rentals and gives you a different perspective from a hotel stay.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Possible last minute trip to Bali-12 nghts-help w/ location?

Thanks for the explanation TX_Longhorn99. I was thinking you might have been talking about some sort of sports teams. Haha.