We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ramadan holiday August

UK
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ramadan holiday August

Hi All

I am arriving in Bali on 30th July for 8 nights - I have just realised this coincides with the Ramadan holiday which I wasnt aware of before!

So am I right that all banks will be closed for most of the time I am there? Does this apply to money changers? Apart from banks being closed and roads being busier is there anything else I should be prepared for?

Thanks in advance x

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ramadan holiday August

Banks may not be open but money changers definitely will be as will most businesses catering to tourists. The majority of Bali's population are not muslim but there are couple of public holidays from 29/7 to 1/8 but this appears to be more applicable for government employees and large businesses.

Cheers

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,738 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ramadan holiday August

All banks, government offices etc should open again on 2nd August but because that is a Saturday I am expecting them not to open till Monday 4th. Money changers will be open but could run short. Balinese operated businesses will be operating as usual but any Muslim owned businesses will be closed during Ramadan to enable them to travel home.

UK
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ramadan holiday August

Great - thanks for letting me know - i guess i should probably change enough money before leaving home!

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ramadan holiday August

I'm usually in Bali at the end of July & in August & have never had a problem changing money.

Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ramadan holiday August

So you mean it can affect also to bali ?

What should we expect, cause I will be there from 28th till 3rd august?

Thanks

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ramadan holiday August

Yes it does affect Bali but only minimally. Most Of the island is Hindu but there is a percentage of Muslim people living there. Muslim owned businesses will close over Ramadan. Shops, restaurants etc. don't worry more than likely you wouldn't have noticed if someone didn't tell you it was Ramadan.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,821 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ramadan holiday August

Ramadam started on 28th June and will finish on the 27th July.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ramadan holiday August

^ However, the Indonesian public holidays come after 27.07

9. Re: Ramadan holiday August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 06:15