We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Safety

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Food Safety

Travelling to Bali in Sept with our 2 kids aged 10 and 12 years. We are staying at Westin and Intercontinental resorts as they have plenty of activities to keep the kids amused and so we can get some much needed peace and a break.

But we want to venture out to eat and experience some real Balinese restaurants etc.

I'd like to avoid (if possible) illness ruining our trip. I mean, getting sick due to the food. I might seem overly paranoid about it but we have holidayed in Phuket 4 times in past 6 years and each time at least 2 of us get sick. We try to take as much care as possible and never drink the water or use ice. Opting mainly for cooked vegetables.

In reviewing some of the restaurant reviews, there are many pics of raw salads on plates and delicious looking drinks with ice. We love to eat lots of fruit and vegetables.

But is it safe in Bali? What precautions should we take. Anything that is a 'must avoid' or a 'must do'.

Really appreciate your advice so that hopefully we can eat some great food and retain it. Apologies this is not the most pleasant question. I have read a lot of posts and comments and there are some very seasoned Bali travellers commenting. It is sooooo helpful. Hoping you may be able to steer us right.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,017 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Safety

Most sickness is caused from having unclean hands and / or a change in diet, i.e. spicy food etc. Use lots of hand sanitiser and choose restaurants with a high turn over of food. Ensure hot food is really hot and cold foods are served 'chilled' and look fresh. Look out for rice that has been cooked for ages and reheated. Ice is safe, it is made from treated drinking water, ice in cooler boxes used to keep drinks chilled is not safe. The fresh fruit is lovely and used to make beautiful fresh juices, once again stick with clean, places with a lot of customers.

You can only do so much no matter where you travel to so take precautions and get medical assistance should you be unlucky and become unwell.

Make sure you drink lots of bottled water to avoid dehydration. Use bottled water when brushing your teeth and don't let the children get bath / shower water in their mouth.

We like to stock up on Yakult in Bali and have a couple of those each every day. They are very cheap and widely available.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 11:01
Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Safety

Many thanks Snookystraveltips. I will be sure to get some of that Yakult the day we arrive. Great to know that the ice they use in drinks is safe. You kind of want to relax a tad and enjoy a drink on holiday without questioning everything. Good tip on the rice - had never thought of that. Have to wonder if that was the 'culprit' when we were in Phuket and also the fact we ate at buffets a lot to suit the kids. Hmmmmmmm!

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
fairhaven
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Safety

I start preparing my body beforehand with having lots of vitamins and yoghurt. I was the only one who didnt get

You can buy those chocolate probiotic balls, I think Michelle Bridges advertises them. Might be good for the kids.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
11,621 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Safety

I almost never eat at buffets, even the ones that have "sneeze guards." Luckily there are not many of them in Bali, except at the most touristic places like Kintamani and at hotel breakfast buffets.

I personally get sick a lot when I leave Bali...I feel that my immune system is down from the stress of travelling and the recirculated air in the plane. I also spray plain alcohol on my hotel room surfaces and even the plane tray table.

There are actually a lot of precautions you can take that go way beyond just the food borne illnesses.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Kintamani
Kintamani
Bangli, Indonesia
melbourne
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Safety

I took Travel Bug for 5 days before we went, and every day we were there. The rest of the family had one every now and again or not at all.

We used hand sanitizer before all meals or when touching anything dirty.

We had ice in all our drinks.

I was the only one to get slightly sick. Didnt last long and didnt stop me doing anything after taking a dose of Gastrostop.

Don't think there's really much you can do except be cautious, but not overly.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,017 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Safety

Besides food safety be aware that Dengue Fever is present in Bali and can make you extremely ill, much worse than an upset stomach. Keep insect repellant on all the time, spray your room when you go out for dinner and ask for mosquito coils at restaurants, on your balcony etc. The dengue mozzies mainly bite during the day.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,600 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food Safety

I would think that freshly cooked food in a clean local restaurants would be less liky to make you sick than hotel buffets that have been sitting around. Just my view.

As Snooky said choose somewhere busy that looks clean then sit back and enjoy.

PERTH
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food Safety

I think Snooky summed it up all in one , follower the advice she has given and you should be fine, please enjoy your trip.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food Safety

Think Its luck of the drawer. The only place a lot of us got sick, obviously something not right in something, was really busy. Had to wait for a table. Was busy every night we walked past. Last trip we ate at a restaurant a few times that was empty every time we walked past. All was good from there. Just do anything that you can do without causing any distress or inconvenience ie, yukult, sanitizer, red cooldial ect and relax and enjoy. If it's going to getcha it will!! Take your Gastrostop just in case but hopefully you will breeze through.

Australia
Level Contributor
370 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food Safety

Have taken Travelan last two trips to Bali and didn't get ill. Sanitise you hands before eating and avoid water spinach.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia