We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money Exchange - CAD to Rupiah

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Money Exchange - CAD to Rupiah

Hello everyone,

We are coming to Bali next month on our honeymoon and this is our first holiday so please bear with my question.

Does it make sense for us to carry Canadian Dollar exchange it to Rupiah in Bali or CAD to USD then change it over.

I will be changing some CAD to Rupiah before we leave for the visa and taxi.

Any help is appreciated.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,468 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money Exchange - CAD to Rupiah

Hi drax - exchange your CAD to IDR when in Bali. You'll get a better rate than back home, and won't be stung for the double conversion if opting for CAD > USD > IDR.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money Exchange - CAD to Rupiah

Also does it make sense us just using our debit to withdraw the money.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money Exchange - CAD to Rupiah

Here is the tricky part. We are getting married in India so I am thinking either carrying enough money for the honeymoon when we leave Canada or getting to Bali and then withdrawing through the ATM.

Any advice?

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,468 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money Exchange - CAD to Rupiah

Check with your card provider for costs of using your ATM card abroad; you may find you'll get charged a transaction fee and foreign withdrawal fee per withdrawal. If so, the ATM card makes for a good emergency back up, but you may get more bang for your buck in cold hard cash. Don't forget to register your card for use abroad.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money Exchange - CAD to Rupiah

Happynoodleboy_uk Thank you for the reply.

The bank charges $5 for every transaction.

I am now thinking thinking of taking 100 CAD/USD for the airport and the remaining either in cash or then going there to withdraw cause I dont want to carry a large amount to India.

Thank you you help

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money Exchange - CAD to Rupiah

Don't bother changing any at home you will get a bad exchange rate - just change some at the airport when you arrive, it's quick and easy.

Given your plans I would bring some cash, but then wear the fee to take the rest out via ATM. I wouldn't want to carry that much cash when travelling through a few countries.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money Exchange - CAD to Rupiah

Hey Shaz,

that was my plan, just to take enough USD for the visa fee and then withdraw the money when we get to Bali in that case I dont have to carry the honeymoon money first to India then to Bali.

Another question: since I will be withdrawing in Rupiah, does it make sense me carrying a little in USD?

8. Re: Money Exchange - CAD to Rupiah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2015, 06:15