We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of moving to Bali - 3 to 6 months - Help!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of moving to Bali - 3 to 6 months - Help!

After being diagnosed with breast cancer 12 mths ago my life has changed. My husband & I have changed our priorities in life. We have been to Bali over 20 times & love the people, religion & life style. On our bucket list was to move to Bali but the thoughts of missing our children & grandchildren was too much to bear. Now we realise that life is too short, so why not give it a try. I have no idea where to start. Does anyone know who to contact re long term rentals, what the procedure is, any recommendations on accommodation or areas. We would love to be near the beach but the area is open. Winnie I hope you read this, as I know you have lived there so would love some feedback. Terimakasih banyak

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
46,956 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of moving to Bali - 3 to 6 months - Help!

JuBali, hello

So sorry to hear about your health conditions....

RE: your question, i suggest to start from Bali expat forums, not from TA, over there you can find ALL vital info about relocation and long term rent options in Bali.

http://www.baliexpat.com/

balipod.com/bali-expat-forum-f2/…

http://www.bali-information.com/

alloexpat.com/indonesia_expat_forum/bali-exp…

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,747 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of moving to Bali - 3 to 6 months - Help!

The expat forums are a good place to check.

Another good option is to book a hotel for a week and go and look at long term rental options.

Actually seeing something for yourself is much better than looking at a few photos which can at times be very deceiving and not allow you to check all the essentials that you want from a long term rental, i.e. water pressure, functioning lights, good air conditioning, inclusions, well maintained premises and just as important the surrounding area.

Sanur is a good area and lots of expats there.

You may also wish to rent in a couple of different areas so may only wish to negotiate for 2 - 3 months at a time.

I know people who arrived in Bali to work / live for 12 months (to start with). They found it much cheaper to look when they got there as they could negotiate prices, get local leads and bypass the online agents who get commission.

You also need to get online and look at the Indonesian Embassy website and read up about the different Visas. The expat forums are also good for this sort of information. If you have any dealings with centrelink then contact them as well. There is a commonwealth bank in Bali as well if you are a customer, this may help you with financial dealings. Commission free credit cards are also worth having. i.e. 28 degree mastercard and the citibank plus account.

Even staying in various hotels / accommodation in different areas is also an option as there are plenty of cheap places that will include breakfast and eating out is so cheap. This way you can move around and see a lot more of Bali.

Australia
Level Contributor
616 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of moving to Bali - 3 to 6 months - Help!

Hi JuBali

Heartbreaking news for you,thoughts go out to you, spending lengthy time in Bali will wonderful for you.

We once stayed in a lovely guest house in Penestanan (Ubud area) owned by a terrific fellow , Bill (he is Dutch.

His guesthouse is on 3 levels. Madrigal House. The bottom level is just gorgeous. King Bed, divine bathroom, greenery everywhere, water sounds, lush, & serene, breakfast every morn by Ibu Made , sweet lady....and I know he rents in out long term (because I actually enquired myself at one stage)....if he wont do it for as long as 6 months....he has many many contacts. he would "steer" you in the right direction. Good Luck in your search , I hope you find a dreamy little place on the beautiful island of Bali to rest, reflect & relax ;-)

Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of moving to Bali - 3 to 6 months - Help!

Hi JuBali - you can easily live in Bali for 3-6 months and it will probably do you the world of good. You will be able to get a visa extendable upto six months. Talking to expats on forums is a good start, if you can afford a reconnaissance trip that would be great also. Where do you feel comfortable in Bali? You say you would like to be near the beach, maybe Sanur?

Marquin talks about Penestanan, which is a village just 2-3kms west of Ubud, there are a lot of ex-pats there and many local people have built small houses that they rent out long term at quite cheap (to us) prices. I will be in the village later this month for a while and if I can answer any questions or look round for you, let me know. I often see Dutch Bill walking his dog past my house - if you want his contact details I can PM you.

There are many other lovely villages around Ubud with houses for long term rent and I encourage you to follow your dream.

Edited: 15 August 2014, 11:14
Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
333 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of moving to Bali - 3 to 6 months - Help!

You could contact Niki Hale, she could give you a lot if useful information as she moved to Bali 2 weeks ago so had just been through the process...She has a Facebook page - The Bali Buddy or website www.thebalibuddy.com

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of moving to Bali - 3 to 6 months - Help!

Hi JuBali, the best advice has been given to you by Snooky.

We were lucky enough to be in Bali a few months earlier than our long stay so we arranged the villa then. This way we could see it, explore the neighbourhood and negotiate an agreeable price direct with the owner.

The first thing you have to work out, even before choosing somewhere to live, is are you going to have your own transport or not. If you aren't then the location of your house becomes vitally important and you will probably be paying more for it as a result because you will need it in a convenient location to your needs. For instance in Sanur, if you have your own transport you could very, very easily find a house on the other side of the By Pass and there are some lovely places there at incredibly cheap prices (compared to what you would pay for the same thing on the beach side of the By Pass)

So my suggestion is to have a look online at the sites suggested but don't decide on any one property until you can actually see the place and it's location. It would be awful if you paid upfront (which is what you will have to do) and then hated the house or it's location and you are stuck there for 3-6 months.

Also work out a budget you want to stick to because being there for months is not like going on a 2 week holiday. You won't be able to afford, probably, to spend like you do when on holiday so it's a good idea to work your priorities out before hand and have a loose budget in mind to live by. This comes in very handy when grocery shopping and having nights out, just like it does at home.

Another thing to consider is the staff that will come with the villa you choose. Do you want them there all day every day, if this is their normal work schedule? We didn't so deliberately chose a place where the staff were only there for a short time each day. For places that are usually longer term and in the price range you will probably be looking at it is unusual for the staff to be there all day unless they live in. But it is something to keep in mind when house hunting.

The rest of it like visas etc are pretty easy to work out once you are there with a 2 month visa. Especially if you don't know exactly how long you will be staying for. Even if you have to do a fly in fly out, it usually works out cheaper in the long run than the cost and hassle of organising a retirement visa/kitas before you go. I would suggest only going down the retirement visa route if you decide to make it permanent. For a stay of 3-6 months start with a 2 month visa and go from there.

Hope this helps

Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of moving to Bali - 3 to 6 months - Help!

I have sent you a Private Message. It may be easier to answer particular questions directly rather than generalising. I am an Australian and have been living in Indonesia for 15 years with the last 10 of those years being in Sanur.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking of moving to Bali - 3 to 6 months - Help!

Thanks everyone for your replies. Its great to get such informative advice. We will possibly look in the Sanur area as we love to be near the beach (or within a bike ride). So if anyone knows any contacts re 3 to 6 month rentals that would be fantastic. I have also checked all the info you all have sent me. Your advice has been greatly appreciated.

9. Re: Thinking of moving to Bali - 3 to 6 months - Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 20:33
10. Re: Thinking of moving to Bali - 3 to 6 months - Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 22:46