We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali advice for a newbie!

Lancaster
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Bali advice for a newbie!

Hi

I am travelling to Bali for 8 nights at the beginning of November. It's my first time in Bali and I'm travelling alone so all advice and tips would be greatly appreciated!

My plan is to stay 3 nights in Ubud where I'm considering staying in a private room through airbnb - I don't know whether anyone has any experience of this or any recommendations for accommodation? Also - what would you say are the things I should definitely see / do whilst staying there?

After Ubud I am planning on visiting Gili Trawangan for 3 nights - any advice on good accommodation / activities would be great. Is it safe there if travelling alone? I've read some mixed reviews on this but I'm sensible and have my wits about me so hopefully it shouldn't be a problem?

Finally, after the Gili islands I'm planning on spending 2 nights in Seminyak - again, no accommodation booked as yet so any info re this area would be great.

Obviously I'm travelling alone but would like to get chatting to other travellers etc. Would you say my planned itinerary re places I'm visiting / time i'm spending in each place is a appropriate for wanting to experience the best of Bali in 8 nights?

Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks

Laura

London
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali advice for a newbie!

Hi Laura, your holiday sounds pretty good to me. You don't say what your accommodation budget is, but for Ubud it might be worth perusing some of the hotel booking sites, like Agoda, to see compare what else you might get for your money. There are a lot of hotels at the lower end of the scale that are affordable but still allow you to feel like you're staying in an exotic location. Plus, most hotels include breakfast with the room and the staff can be a useful resource in helping you to acclimatise quickly, with advice on the local area.

In terms of what to do while you're in Ubud, there are lots of nearby attractions. If you book a driver and take a day trip to, say, Kintamani (the volcano with another volcano inside), you can go via Gunung Kawi (lovely temple complex) and Tirta Empul (holy springs) and then come back via Tegallalang (terraced rice vistas).

Other things within a short drive from Ubud are the Bali Bird Park (well worth a visit) and Goa Gajah (the elephant cave). You can also book to go rafting down the Ayung River, which is very cool and relaxing or do a cycling tour (book through any of the agents on the streets in Ubud). And every evening in Ubud you can find traditional dances being performed in different locations.

Gili T is pretty safe for lone females, although I'd be wary of becoming too chummy with the local surfers and respond with a polite 'no thanks' when they suggest that they could be your 'butler' back home. The beaches are gorgeous and you can hire bicycles very cheaply and cycle around the entire island or at any rate to a beach where there are very few other people. You can do snorkelling day trips and trips to the other islands.

Lancaster
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali advice for a newbie!

This is great - thanks!

My budget for accommodation for each place is between £20-50 per night ideally. I don't need the accommodation to be amazing but I'm also not keen on staying in a hostel really. I have looked on agodo and there does seem to be some good deals.

I will definitely check out the places you've said to visit.

I did look at getting a driver - do you think one day is enough for each area or would I need longer? Are there any particular companies you would recommend?

London
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali advice for a newbie!

Laura, there are no cars on Gili T, so those are three days you won't need a driver. In Seminyak you can pick up taxis or just chill on the beach. It's mainly Ubud that you'll want to think about hiring a driver to get out and about, as it's the best location for exploring the further reaches of the island.

There is no shortage of guys on the streets offering to drive you where you want to go. There are also plenty of guys with motorbikes (which can be much quicker for short journeys as the traffic can get clogged in the centre of town). For a car and driver, you'll be paying around IDR300,000-400,000 for a half day (four hours) and about IDR650,000 for a full day (10 hours). It's about 50,000 rupiah an hour, so use that as your measure if you try to book someone for shorter trips.

If you find it all too intimidating or are overwhelmed by choice, feel free to contact my driver. His name is Kadek Suastika and his email is: alungsuastika@yahoo.com

Lancaster
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali advice for a newbie!

Great - this is all really useful. I've been told about some other places to visit which is doable by car apparently - Klungklung, Tirta Gangga, Tenganan and Pasir Putih. I don't know if you have any experience of these places?

Thanks for all your help - much appreciated!

London
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali advice for a newbie!

Yes, that would be a nice day trip option combining beach and culture, and perhaps you could stop in at the Gianyar night markets on your way back, the food is amazing to look at, even if you don't eat there. The markets open from 5pm.

Lancaster
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali advice for a newbie!

Thanks. Sounds great :)

7. Re: Bali advice for a newbie!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 20:33
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,929 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bali advice for a newbie!

Please remove your post #7, plus all your other ones, it's against TA regulations to self promote TA, you've been reported.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bali advice for a newbie!

Thanks Rob and hello to Fudge and Mrs Rob..

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
113 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bali advice for a newbie!

Are there any entrance fees to get to see Kintamani Volcano?

Just asking as I found a web site / Tour Company offering a tour of Kintamani from your hotel and includes all entrance fees for £32 each - are there any entrance fees? or is it much cheaper to hire a driver for a day (read that its about £25 - £30 for the day for a driver inc petrol)