We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schoolies?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Topic
Schoolies?

I recently booked really cheap flights to go back to Bali in December.... Then I realised i am due to be there right in the middle of schoolies!!!!!

Probably the reason for the cheap flights.

I am staying at the top end of legian. Can anyone advise me how badly the area is affected by the schoolies.... I was looking forward to a nice relaxing holiday. I am not into the bars or nightclubs so I know to avoid Kuta around this time.

Any advise would be grateful

Jude

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Schoolies?

Simply put you will have no problem.

Unless they are actually staying at your hotel then you wont even know they are there. It is the nightlife they go for and as you are not into that you wont see them.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
832 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Schoolies?

They probably sleep all day party all night , so you should be fine

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Schoolies?

Email your hotel and ask what their policy on schoolies is and whether they had any record of teenagers due in around that time. That will give you some sort of idea what is going to happen around your hotel.

A girlfriend went last year and stayed in Legian and my brother in law went two years ago and stayed in Seminyak, so unfortunately location doesn't determine where they will be. All of the cheap flight+hotel deals out through agents have them spending time in hotels that traditionally might not have been frequented before.

From what my friend told me, during the day they like to hang by the pools and get over their hangovers, so it might be worth checking out with the hotel as to what is likely to happen at yours.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Schoolies?

Im my experience some schoolies are also out and about during the day too :)

They frequent restaurants (can be a bit noisy) and may hoon up and down the streets on bikes -( right up to the double six area)

You may be lucky enough though to have none (or few) in your area the time you are there.

Luck of the draw really and easy enough to find alternative eating venues and take care whilst walking the streets.

australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Schoolies?

Are you able to change your accomodation plans to a different area? Just an idea :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Schoolies?

I would definitely take Ames advice.

I have read many reports of peoples experiences during schoolies and I wouldn't go just in case I experienced the same. NOT just schoolies can act like yobbo's though but just more of a chance of getting a yobbo group I think.

Getting woken up at 4am by rowdy groups and putting up with the rudeness and swearing and disrespect constantly on a holiday would be a nightmare.

Had a group of 3 'people' for 2 days in January 2 years ago and that was way enough for me. They were on their schoolies trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Schoolies?

It's a shame it's come to this, BLuvs.

I suppose nowhere is safe, I've heard reports of my mums friends kids going to places like Fiji and Vanuatu and Thailand.

In a few years there will be no places left. Luckily there are a few hotels now that are refusing to let them stay, so hopefully it becomes contained to the places like Bounty where they belong.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Schoolies?

I was in Bali late November last year during Schoolies. First half of the Trip was in the Petitenget area and no sight of them. Second half we stayed in Villa's on Jl Legian and we have a group of Male schoolies and there were absolutely no issues.

It was actually quite entertaining watching them bleary eyed in the morning, and on more than one occasion we reminisced to their pool music choices from the 90's haha

Having said that I am not one to spend much time in Kuta and Legian, or frequent any places at night that Schoolies might be found. I'd suggest contacting your accommodation as Ames suggested :)

Bendigo
Level Contributor
366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Schoolies?

We like to have sunset drinks at one of the small bars around the Jayakarta. The schoolies appeared to be staying at the Jayakarta and took over the whole area. Some were really good but some were obnoxious. Finished up moving up the beach for the week to get away from them. Luckily very few staying at Rama Garden where I was.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
97 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Schoolies?

When is schoolies week/month?